What about the Brigham?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bne_12mne

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here. I've finished my interviews and am struggling with my own rank list. I'm looking mostly in the Northeast for family reasons. I've enjoyed (nearly) every thread in this forum, so thank you to all who post regularly.

I've noticed in the POLL, that Brigham doesn't have what I would expect in terms of numbers of #1 rankings. So, what's the deal? I liked the place for the most part, but so far no place has been perfect. Perhaps I am too critical. I'm sure this program will make my top 3-4 on my list, but not sure exactly where yet.

What do you guys think? Things that are of particular importance to me (and probably most applicants) are reputation, resident happiness, private practice and fellowship placement, quality of clinical training, and didactics (if they exist:). Bonus items are things like regional experience, ICU, strong resident cardiac/TEE exposure...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Best of luck to all in the Match, I hope you all have easier times with your ROL than me!

BNE

Members don't see this ad.

What an awesome program! Seems like you work hard and but its worth every bit of sweat in terms of the clinical experience. Very happy residents, cool and with colorful personalities...great research support too. Very smart but down-to-earth people...In my opinion, pretty close to everything any resident would want in a training program.

cric1 said:
What an awesome program! Seems like you work hard and but its worth every bit of sweat in terms of the clinical experience. Very happy residents, cool and with colorful personalities...great research support too. Very smart but down-to-earth people...In my opinion, pretty close to everything any resident would want in a training program.

Cric1,

Thanks for the reply. My overall impression was similar regarding the program and the people. My main concerns/cons for the program were the "mediocre" ICU experience...mainly it seemed like the residents hated them and the chair wasn't too pleased with the situation either. Also, I didn't get a good sense whether they have any real regional experience. Finally, with a residency that big, I was concerned that there might be "stacking" of residents.

What do you all think about these issues? Are they real at the Brigham? Are they even important?

BNE