What additional biology/science courses would help with MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerLilies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to be a philosophy major and so I was wondering what additional science courses apart from the required premed courses would help in doing well on the MCAT?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

TigerLilies said:
I plan to be a philosophy major and so I was wondering what additional science courses apart from the required premed courses would help in doing well on the MCAT?

Thanks!

I think that taking upper-level Human Physiology (not combined with anatomy) the fall before the MCAT really helped my biological sciences score. Also, biochemistry, which is now required by many schools, was very helpful.

TigerLilies said:

Thanks!

My guesses are as follows,

PS: Inorganic Chemistry OR Physical Chemistry.

VR: With a major like philosophy, I don't think you'll have any trouble here.

BS: Genetics OR Anatomy & Physiology OR Biochemistry

However - DO NOT take an insane courseload during the semester in which you plan to take the MCAT. Such a rigorous combination could make your life absolutely miserable.

AND - I regret having not taken a Kaplan or Princeton Review course. Their difficult practice materials are an invaluable resource... more valuable than taking ANY course mentioned previously.

I highly suggest for bio to take microbiology and cell biology. The past two mcat real tests I have taken have passages I was familiar with becaues of my molecular cell biology background. It helps a lot to know the background before reading a passage. In all I feel bad for people that have just taken biology when taking the biological sciences section, because they aren't at the level that I am at....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm nonscience too and I found physiology and biochemistry the most helpful. You get a good dose of genetics in intro bio, but the focus on experimental methods in our biochemistry class really helped me.

codliveroil said:
However - DO NOT take an insane courseload during the semester in which you plan to take the MCAT. Such a rigorous combination could make your life absolutely miserable.

AND - I regret having not taken a Kaplan or Princeton Review course. Their difficult practice materials are an invaluable resource... more valuable than taking ANY course mentioned previously.
I totally agree... don't do what I did... I regret this semester so much

was the upper division biology course that seemed the most valuable to me. There was one genetics passage in particular, mice & pigs (you guys know the one) that I was able to answer all questions quickly and confidently, due to my genetics background. However cell physiology, animal physiology, molecular biology and the fact that I am a community college biology instructor helped. So in short get a biology degree to help with the biology, a chemistry degree and a physics degree.

Thanks so much for all your replies!!! :) I am considering taking genetics, physiology, and biochem, do you think these three science courses would be sufficent?

Once again, thanks!!! :)

I think physiology should be last on the list - there is very little physiology on the real thing. I would suggest genetics, cell biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, and then physiology, in that order.
But the truth is that you really dont need that extra info, the MCAT really is a test of basic science knowledge.

TigerLilies said:
Thanks so much for all your replies!!! :) I am considering taking genetics, physiology, and biochem, do you think these three science courses would be sufficent?

Once again, thanks!!! :)

Take cell bio. And Calc I; looks good on ur transcript. Its also an easy class.

For the MCAT, while other courses help like physio etc, only the prereqs are needed.

For getting in, I would probably take cell bio, genetics, microbio, biochem and biochem lab.

The last two are required by many schools. Additionally, most schools require Calc I and then Calc II or stats.

gujuDoc said:
For the MCAT, while other courses help like physio etc, only the prereqs are needed.

For getting in, I would probably take cell bio, genetics, microbio, biochem and biochem lab.

The last two are required by many schools. Additionally, most schools require Calc I and then Calc II or stats.

Thanks, for all your responses!!! What is cell bio? How is it different from microbiology? And is it really that helpful for the MCAT?

So I'm thinking of taking genetics, biochem, microbio, and physiology.

Also, I have done Calc I and will be taking Calc II.

gujuDoc said:

Actually, calc is required by a minority of schools (20-30 last time I checked). Doesn't mean it's not a good idea to take it, but someone who doesn't isn't exactly screwed.

codliveroil said:
My guesses are as follows,

PS: Inorganic Chemistry OR Physical Chemistry.
I know it's just a guess, but I have to say, no effing way. I have taken both of these, and they couldn't have less to do with the MCAT. My courses in astronomy had more to do with the MCAT than either of these, since there was a VR passage about astronomy.

A lot of people mistakenly equate inorganic chem with general chem. there are totally different. Inorganic chem is a lot of specialized mathematics for symmetry, obscure spectra techniques, and quantum mechanics. Way beyond the scope of the PS.

Likewise for P-chem. Lots of differential equations, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. Not even close to relevant.

If there were one advanced course that I think had a lot to offer in terms of the PS section, I'd say it was fluid mechanics. But if you're philosophy major, you probably wouldn't even be likely to take the prereqs. Instead, i would just say that you should try to get the most you can out of gen chem and physics--particularly in the lab. Don't just half-ass the labs and try to get a good grade solely, but instead try to focus on understanding the experimental designs, the analytical techniques, and the principles behind interpretting the data. Having a solid ability to relate scientific principle to experimental design/results is probably the most important part of the MCAT after reading comprehension.

Also, a lot of people make the mistake of blowing off the VR section because it's easy. In fact, the easiness only works against you, since it makes the curve far more competitive than the PS--single mistakes make much bigger differences on the VR. The MCAT is not an obstacle--your peers are the obstacle and the MCAT is the trial. Your raw score means nothing; only your acheivement relative to other test takers matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
TigerLilies said:
Thanks, for all your responses!!! What is cell bio? How is it different from microbiology? And is it really that helpful for the MCAT?

So I'm thinking of taking genetics, biochem, microbio, and physiology.

Also, I have done Calc I and will be taking Calc II.

Cell biology at my university is a lower division core course that teaches general eukaryotic cell biology, cell physiology teaches more in depth eukaryotic cell biology, dealing more with enzymes, metabolism etc., microbiology deals more with prokaryotic cell biology.

TheDarkSide said:
Actually, calc is required by a minority of schools (20-30 last time I checked). Doesn't mean it's not a good idea to take it, but someone who doesn't isn't exactly screwed.

Really, because almost every school I looked at said they wanted at least one semester of it.

As per everyone saying take all these higher level courses. They may be nice, but for instance.........

I took immunology last semester. There was a passage on that in my test. However, I didn't need to take the class to do well on my MCAT passage. Cuz the info was all in the passage and more based on your ability to manipulate the things you learned in the MCAT books.

At my university, general microbiology, is the study of microorganisms on a very general level. A little bit about physiology, antibiotics and pathogenicity, a little bit of their life cycle etc.

In the lab you learn staining procedures and how to isolate unknowns, and do dilution factors etc.

In cell bio, you learn biochemistry related stuff on a much more surface level. Basically, you learn enzyme kinetcs briefly, Delta G free energy things as it relates to the cell and problems related to different biochemical pathways but without learning all the structures and in depth enzymes etc.

You also learn a little bit about signal transduction, and things of that nature. It is all eukaryotic stuff.

Microbial physiology, teaches actual prokaryotic physiiology.

I doubt that a biochemistry course would help much on the MCAT, but it will definitely help you in med school. You'll cover a lot of biochem in the first two years, and pace will be about an order of magnitude faster. Same for anatomy: not useful for the MCAT, VERY useful for med school.

Physiology would help on the MCAT and in med school. Again, lot of physiology in med school, and students with some background have an edge. Same for molecular biology and/or microbiology.

Ditto about not taking inorganic or p-chem. There won't be anything on the MCAT as complicated as what they teach in those classes beyond what you get in general chemistry.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take the classes that are required (or strongly recommended) beyond the basics for admissions at some schools. I think biochem is pretty common here, but I don't know for sure--I haven’t run into a requirement that I didn't meet already, probably because I'm a hooge nerd!

Those classes might help you a little bit on the MCAT, plus it will let you apply anywhere you want. For the MCAT itself, though, I wouldn't stress it too much. My experience (on the practice tests anyhow) was that the difference between getting a 10 and 13+ in the science sections was being able to use the information in the passage well, vs. knowing crap beyond what you could learn in the ExamKracker books.

If you had just 1 class to choose from, I'd choose Cell Biology for sure. If your couple of intro bio classes were anything like mine, a lot of the details were not really covered w/r/t the inner workings of the cell. I thought Cell Bio was VERY helpful in completing my overall biology competency.

I just completed a biochem class, and while it was nice, I don't know how helpful was for the MCAT. Physiology would be good though.

Good luck.

MIKE G said:
I highly suggest for bio to take microbiology and cell biology. The past two mcat real tests I have taken have passages I was familiar with becaues of my molecular cell biology background. It helps a lot to know the background before reading a passage. In all I feel bad for people that have just taken biology when taking the biological sciences section, because they aren't at the level that I am at....

Im also a philosophy major however and i take the mcat in aug. I will not be able to take anything other than the prereqs before and i was wondering if you knew of good places to get material on that stuff. (i am taking PR this summer)
thanks alot
eflwon

eflwon said:
Im also a philosophy major however and i take the mcat in aug. I will not be able to take anything other than the prereqs before and i was wondering if you knew of good places to get material on that stuff. (i am taking PR this summer)
thanks alot
eflwon

First off if you are a philosophy major, I'm assuming Verbal will come real easy to you. If that's the case, then I'm sure those same verbal skills will help in manipulating info in science passages as well. A lot of people have issues with verbally based tests, and that is what the MCAT is.

Secondly, for the MCAT itself, the only thing you need is the prereqs and the materials that Princeton and Kaplan and EK or Berkley review give you.

All four of these companies have comprehensive and reputable materials with the bare minimum you need to know. Advanced knowledge is present in the topic.

Physiology and cell biology were my heroes. If you have an endocrinology class at your university as well, that's a good course to take because endocrinology is basically cell biology :D.

Those three classes worked great for me

cfdavid said:
If you had just 1 class to choose from, I'd choose Cell Biology for sure. If your couple of intro bio classes were anything like mine, a lot of the details were not really covered w/r/t the inner workings of the cell. I thought Cell Bio was VERY helpful in completing my overall biology competency.

I just completed a biochem class, and while it was nice, I don't know how helpful was for the MCAT. Physiology would be good though.

Good luck.

Yes!

I haven't even taken biochem, I can't see how that would have helped ;0

gujuDoc said:
First off if you are a philosophy major, I'm assuming Verbal will come real easy to you. If that's the case, then I'm sure those same verbal skills will help in manipulating info in science passages as well. A lot of people have issues with verbally based tests, and that is what the MCAT is.
I think I'd also venture to suggest that one has a considerable interest in securing their strong points at least as much as their weak points. How would it look if you majored in Bio and that ended up your lowest score, or majored in Philosophy with a lowest score in VR, or majored in Journalism with a lowest score in the WS?

It's important to remeber that VR comes easily to a huge cross-section of the med school applicants. You aren't competing for raw scores, you're competing with the other test takers. I probably missed at least 5 times as many questions in BS as in VR (BS was undoubtedly my weakest subject going in, as I had only taken intro to bio 1 & 2 at a JC several years earlier--plus some biochem that was largely irrelevant to the MCAT), and my scaled score was the same in both section.

Turkeyman said:
Physiology and cell biology were my heroes. If you have an endocrinology class at your university as well, that's a good course to take because endocrinology is basically cell biology :D.

Those three classes worked great for me
yup. i took neuroendocrinology and it was a blast :thumbup:

Thanks so much for all your responses!!! :) I am a freshman now and will probably be taking the MCAT in the summer of 2006 or spring of 2007 and I heard that the MCAT might change by then. Is this true? Has anyone heard anything about this??

Thanks.