What advice would you give to a NEW Pre-Pharmacy student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsPharmacist2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of taking the pre-reqs for pharmacy school and I'm seeking advice on how to make the best of my 2 years as a student.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do your best in your pre-reqs and try to get your application done as early as possible (once you are ready to apply).

Personally, I would also say to try and do the pre-reqs in 3-4 years instead of 2. I would also say to try and work/volunteer in a pharmacy setting. I would also not recommend dropping courses (unless under extreme circumstances). Some schools look negatively on W's when they see them on your transcript.

Try to narrow down your schools on the front end - I narrowed down geographically, but if you're willing to go anywhere, some have chosen based on prestigiousness of program, lowest cost, or similar prereqs.

Once you know which schools you might be interested in going to, you can make yourself a rough plan for prereqs. This probably goes without saying, but start your Bio & Chem series now. Most of the time you need 4+ semesters of each. Math also needs to be early if you need Calc for your program (& especially if you need Physics with Calc). Once you have the bones of your schedule, shoe horn in the extras (like English comp, public speaking, or economics).

Find some way to get involved in pharmacy (or as close as you can get), volunteer or work-wise. Consider getting PTCB certified - this CAN be done self-study, especially after Gen Chem II if it's similar to my experience.

Join your pre-pharm club if you can - I wish I had, based on other SDN'ers' experiences. Make contacts contacts contacts... Professors, pharmacists, you'll need 'em for letters of recommendation down the road for your application.

When you get to that point, to echo above, start early on your pharmacy application. If you can manage to be well-prepared & want to be done super early, take the PCAT in January. If you're human like the rest of us, take it in July. ;) Start asking for LoRs as soon as you can - PharmCAS opens in June as I understand, but that doesn't stop you from reaching out to your contacts in May to ask if they'll do it & let them know they'll get the e-mail in June. Start your personal statement early and get everyone you know to read it.

Don't get discouraged if you don't hit your timelines. Realistically, it's just fine if your application is done at the end of August / September instead of in June / July... PharmCAS doesn't even start sending them until August! It's more important to keep your GPA up & keep your pharm experience going than to squeeze in that extra class. Take squishy prereqs during Summer if you want, or just flat-out add another year to your schedule - remember, you can take classes in Fall / Spring before you matriculate into your college of pharmacy.

To do all the prereqs AND have a well-rounded application, you're going to be a busy bee for 2 years! It's possible, but I believe it's the minority that does it. I'm not even sure it would have been possible for me to score well on the PCAT after a packed first year of college, without A&P / O Chem series. Again, can be done, depending on your study skills, ability to teach yourself, and endurance.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the process of taking the pre-reqs for pharmacy school and I'm seeking advice on how to make the best of my 2 years as a student.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Keep your GPA high and learn as much as possible so it won't be hard when PCAT comes.

Keep your GPA high and learn as much as possible so it won't be hard when PCAT comes.

I'm glad you made a distinction here. Good GPA ≠ good learning. A high GPA just means you learned how to play the game, although you often learn something along the way.

Get involved and do some volunteer work. Don't go crazy, but you should get something on your CV that you have done for a year or so. I volunteered at a local hospital for over a year, and that looked very good on my application. Learn a lot, and if you get a C, don't get discouraged if you feel like you LEARNED. Try your best to not get any, but one won't kill your chances. I personally found my prepharmacy coursework to be challenging once I got into A & P, Ochem, and Physics. Join some organizations, and just network, network, network! I found out about Sullivan's program through one of Purdue's advisors. I was in the office one day, chit chatting, and he started tell me about this program. That's when I decided I wanted to come here instead of staying in Indiana. You never know when you might get some information or meet someone who can put in a good word for you.

Good luck!

I'm glad you made a distinction here. Good GPA ≠ good learning. A high GPA just means you learned how to play the game, although you often learn something along the way.

Life is a game, those that learn how to play the system tend to come out on top.

Work smart, not hard.

Don't plan on two years. It is becoming increasingly difficult to be accepted after two years with many schools, and will only continue to be with increasing pre-reqs.

Have a plan for obtaining a degree just in case you do not get in after two years... or three years... or four years...

I am in the same boat. I plan to start classes in January and right now I am spending hours narrowing down schools so that I can know what pre-reqs are required. This forum is a godsend! Good Luck MsPharmacist2B!