what affects where you place for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NehsNairb

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what factors determine where you end up for residency? i know board scores count alot but what other factors, especially if you want to apply to a hospital that has a top residency program for your specialty. how much does your choice of medical school affect where you place for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
dynx said:
So you're saying that being ugly is a huge bonus?
Well it's about time I got something in my favor!

NehsNairb said:
what factors determine where you end up for residency? i know board scores count alot but what other factors, especially if you want to apply to a hospital that has a top residency program for your specialty. how much does your choice of medical school affect where you place for residency?

I don't think your med school matters all that much. Sure, at a place like Harvard Rad Onc, most residents will be from extremely top institutions. But I think for most applicants in most specialties, it doesn't matter that much.

Where you go had a big difference if you've got big names. If you don't have big names in the field you want to go into, then it lies more upon you shoulders.
The reputation of the school, also associated with the big names as well as other factors, also has a great impact upon your residency. If your school notoriously supplies better trained physicians than the other school in town, you'll see a difference in residency placement, especially in your region.
There's a thread with residency matches, I suggest you check it out. You'll see which schools send most of their students into rural programs and which ones send 20 students a year into urology (not that one is better than the other).

sscooterguy

beary said:
I don't think your med school matters all that much. Sure, at a place like Harvard Rad Onc, most residents will be from extremely top institutions. But I think for most applicants in most specialties, it doesn't matter that much.
Right. It seems in order to match SOMEWHERE this is the case but the OP asked about matching at the top places in their specialty of choice.