What age do surgical skills begin degrading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdtt16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nontrad here considering podiatry. So far everything about podiatry seems awesome and tailor-made for my interests but my one concern is that it is a surgical specialty and I am an older student.

Not quite sure how to phrase the question correctly but here goes:

Will a career in podiatry be curtailed by degrading surgical skills?

Do most podiatrists give up performing surgery as they get older and stick to the medical issues of podiatry?

For those in practice for significant periods of time, is this even an issue and, if so, how old were/are you when you could no longer operate?

If I graduate, will potential employers be looking at me thinking of my short surgical lifespan?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but that question borders on ridiculous. If you have an understanding of human physiology you'll understand there is no answer to your question. There are so many factors at play it's mind boggling. Every individual is different and I've seen incompetent surgeons who are 28 years of age and phenomenal surgeons in their late 70s and early 80s.

I see fat slobs who are 25 and marathon runners who are in their 80s and older.

Sorry, come up with a question that actually has an answer.

^Punch in the balls with your morning coffee? LOL

mdtt16, how old are you?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but that question borders on ridiculous. If you have an understanding of human physiology you'll understand there is no answer to your question. There are so many factors at play it's mind boggling. Every individual is different and I've seen incompetent surgeons who are 28 years of age and phenomenal surgeons in their late 70s and early 80s.

I see fat slobs who are 25 and marathon runners who are in their 80s and older.

Sorry, come up with a question that actually has an answer.

Sorry but it is your answer that seems ridiculous. It is a well established fact that as humans age, they lose visual acuity and manual dexterity to different extents. Not knowing anything about the requirements to be a competent surgeon, it is perfectly reasonable to ask more seasoned heads how age, in a general sense, might interfere with skills. Obviously there are exceptions on both extremes but there was no need for such a salty response.

I would say this is well dependent upon the person. One person may succumb to arthritis at an early age rendering them unable to perform surgery, where as another may have perfect hands and not decide to retire until 70+. I would say it is realistic for the average podiatrist to expect to perform surgery until retirement if they desire. I would be more worried about my back.

Reactions: 1 user
I will hold to my original comments. There are so many variables it's not a question that can be answered. Once again there are people who are 20 years of age who can't walk around the block without becoming short of breath, and there are 80 year old people running marathons. It depends on genetics, habits, diet, lifestyle, luck and many other factors.

If you lose visual acuity there is a recent invention called glasses. They can be used for a whole boatload of pathology. And I often see 6 year olds with poor vision wearing glasses. There are many ways to maintain dexterity and some never have dexterity at any age.

I wouldn't make losing your surgical skills a major concern at this time. First you need to actually acquire those skills.

I will hold to my original comments. There are so many variables it's not a question that can be answered. Once again there are people who are 20 years of age who can't walk around the block without becoming short of breath, and there are 80 year old people running marathons. It depends on genetics, habits, diet, lifestyle, luck and many other factors.

If you lose visual acuity there is a recent invention called glasses. They can be used for a whole boatload of pathology. And I often see 6 year olds with poor vision wearing glasses. There are many ways to maintain dexterity and some never have dexterity at any age.

I wouldn't make losing your surgical skills a major concern at this time. First you need to actually acquire those skills.

It's so true. There are too many variables to judge someone based strictly on age. Being in one's 50s in and of itself shouldn't cause concern. At my facility most of the regular surgeons are in our 40s and 50s so you'd probably fit right in. In fact, looking a little older might actually work to one's benefit as patients see a doctor in his or her 50s and automatically assume that he or she has years of experience even if that provider is fresh out of training -- people don't usually ask. Now, if you look like you're 70 and are looking for a job I could see a potential employer taking that into account, even if they don't say it out loud.

Reactions: 1 user
Besides the variability in dexterity, I think it should be pointed out that even if you lost dexterity or ended up just sucking as a surgeon regardless of dexterity, there would be 1,000 other ways to make a living as a podiatrist. Surgery isn't even the largest part of most podiatrists' practices. So it's nothing to stress about.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile