What an intern should know...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFSmiley

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm plannin' out my 4th year.

I once heard rumors about a study that was conducted where faculty from a bunch of residency programs were surveyed and they listed out the top 10 skills they expect of interns.

"Know how to write admit orders for the 10 most common Admissions" etc.

So if anyone knows what I'm talking, and can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

~Smiley.

Members don't see this ad.

I did four acting internships my fourth year: FM - which was all inpatient, pulmonary/CCU, EM, and trauma surgery (don't ask - I just thought it was fun). Of course, fourth year was a little less slack for me than it was for some of my friends, but I found it helpful when internship started.

I say enjoy 4th year as this is the last year in your career that would be fun... hospitals teach everything during orientation for interns to survive dont worry about it.. relax, breathe, prepare for interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
hospitals teach everything during orientation for interns to survive

Well, then they've started doing it fairly recently. For us, orientation was mostly devoted to getting certified in ACLS, PALS, etc., going through OSHA training, and learning how to log in to the computer system. I suppose nowadays they have to throw in some kind of HIPAA training, too.

I wouldn't count on learning much in the way of "survival skills."

I did four acting internships my fourth year: FM - which was all inpatient, pulmonary/CCU, EM, and trauma surgery (don't ask - I just thought it was fun). Of course, fourth year was a little less slack for me than it was for some of my friends, but I found it helpful when internship started.
I think, at the very least, a good critical care rotation will be helpful. I too chose electives to broaden my base. These included a critical care elective, infectious disease, cardiology, and FM.
...hospitals teach everything during orientation for interns to survive dont worry about it...
Well, then they've started doing it fairly recently. For us, orientation was mostly devoted to getting certified in ACLS, PALS, etc., going through OSHA training, and learning how to log in to the computer system. I suppose nowadays they have to throw in some kind of HIPAA training, too...
I have to agree with BD. My experience has been that the hospital does not teach survival or even basic medical skills. They usually have a rapid fire "orientation" to expose you to their infrastructure systems. You go home with stacks of papers and files and documents to review (you never do).... only to spend the next several months or more trying to actually learn how to integrate into their system. Always, amazes me, when you call for help, "you should already know this... it was part of your intern orientation packet!".

I guess it really depends on the place, I interviewed at few places that had built in a whole MONTH of orientation i.e July not like some places which do it in june, personally I think a month is enough to learn survivors skills
point is 4th year is the only real time to enjoy life...I just dont see the point spending it the hospital