What are all the occupations you've considered?

Started by Mesinan
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mesinan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Start with the first job you remember wanting to do and if you remember the age/grade you were and go to what you want to do now.
 
When I was young I wanted to be a flight attendent LOL, then in middle school I remember wanting to be a forensic scientist, then a chemist, then in high school, first I wanted to became interested in Medical careers, first I was thinking about being a neurologist, then neurosurgeon, then internal medicine, and now I'm interested in OBGYN.
 
I wanted to be an architect for a long time.. but I never actually looked up what an architect would be doing. Eventually I decided I didn't want to help people build more buildings.
The only other art career I've considered seriously was being a figurine maker, and that was recently.

When I was even younger than that, I wanted to be a bank teller (what.) Eventually I realized that'd be boring I guess... and somewhere along the way I lost my math skills (assuming I ever had them.)

Since junior high, I've been interested in psychology and counseling. When I transfer, I plan to major in psychology, so it's still a thing.

The idea of being an EMT/paramedic still really interests me, so I've finally decided (well, this week it's what I decide. I change my mind all the time.) to start out by getting my paramedicine associates, getting my first EMT job, and deciding if I want to take it further or go back to my goal of being a doctor. At this point, I don't see paramedicine as a compromise, so I just want to get in there and see if it's something I could do for a living.

EDIT: Yoooo I already changed my mind! Go me. Back to being an artist doctor.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Elementary School: President
Middle School: Rock Musician, Pilot
Freshman 1st half: Businessman
Freshman 2nd half: Police Officer or Businessman
Sophomore 1st half: Businessman
Sophomore 2nd half: Physician (Taking biology is to blame for that)
Junior 1st half: Physician
Junior 2nd half: Physician


I wanted to go into Business for a while, then I took a college level business class. It was SO BORING.
 
Elementary School: President
Middle School: Rock Musician, Pilot
Freshman 1st half: Businessman
Freshman 2nd half: Police Officer or Businessman
Sophomore 1st half: Businessman
Sophomore 2nd half: Physician (Taking biology is to blame for that)
Junior 1st half: Physician
Junior 2nd half: Physician


I wanted to go into Business for a while, then I took a college level business class. It was SO BORING.

Learning business can get a little boring but applying it and doing something with the skill is definitely not boring.

Finance and Economics is my ish....

Kindergarden-8th grade: Scientist
Freshman- Finance
Sophomore- Finance/ Physician
Junior - Finance/ Physician

Physician is currently winning out, and I will probably be a Pre-Med with a Major in Political Science and a minor in Finance.
 
Learning business can get a little boring but applying it and doing something with the skill is definitely not boring.

Finance and Economics is my ish....

Kindergarden-8th grade: Scientist
Freshman- Finance
Sophomore- Finance/ Physician
Junior - Finance/ Physician

Physician is currently winning out, and I will probably be a Pre-Med with a Major in Political Science and a minor in Finance.

Spreadsheet modeling and stuff is really dull to me. The politics is somewhat interesting though.
 
Kindergarten: Mailman (WTF?!? :laugh:)
Undecided/Uncaring period from 1st-5th
6th Grade: Video Game Creator
7th Grade: Video Game Story Designer
8th Grade: The Next Mark Zuckerberg (Billion Dollar Coder 😀)
9th Grade: Anesthesiologist
10th Grade: Physician
11th Grade: Physician
 
In order

Lawyer - I look back at this and laugh
Psychiatrist - It really interested me when I was little and my parents really discouraged this
Botanist - I really loved plants back then....
Pharmacist - no comment
Teacher
Nurse
Veterinarian
 
Wanted to be a web programmer / designer....

...but doing so would mean turning my computer into my wife. I have no intention of being bound to a machine for the rest of my life, so.....

After some thought and spending some time at a local clinic, here I am on The Student Doctor Network.
 
NBA player until I realized I was barely athletic enough to be a below average high school player... lol.

Then I realized how cool being a doctor would be and I've wanted to do that ever since, bounced around from wanting to be a neurosurgeon, to nephrologist, to cardiologist... pretty much everything except for psychiatrist haha.
 
Since the 6th grade:
Fashion designer (lasted maybe 3 months--don't judge)
Journalist (news)
Pilot (briefly)
Lawyer (criminal)
For the last 3 years I've considered MD and have had my heart set on the science & math track ever since!!
 
Scientist - Penguin researcher was what I kept telling my friends lol
Pilot -
Microbiologist-
Software Engineer -
Quantitative/Mathematical Finance -
Physician Scientist






Probably going to major in Math minor in CS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Elementary : Metereologist
7th grade: Mailman
8th grade : Anesthesiologist/Urologist
9th grade : Radiologist
10th grade : Urologist
11th grade : Plastic Surgeon or Wall Street Banker
12th grade : Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
 
MD Careers That I've Considered (In Order):

-Surgeon (At first all I knew was that there were surgeons and physicians. I didn't know anything about specialization and sub-specialization)
-Internal Medicine (Scrubs fan here)
-Surgeon (Turk from scrubs)
-Orthopedic Surgeon ($$$... I was younger)
-Emergency Room Doctor or Trauma Surgeon (My cousin is an ER doctor and I think she has a really interesting job)
-Neurosurgeon (After talking to a neurosurg resident in the ER, and his student. They convinced me.)

^Also combines with my interest in studying neuroscience in college.
 
I have always (ever since I can remember) wanted to be a Physician. When I was 8 I found out what an Ob Gyn was and I was convinced that was what I wanted to do. I haven't changed my mind since then.
 
I have always (ever since I can remember) wanted to be a Physician. When I was 8 I found out what an Ob Gyn was and I was convinced that was what I wanted to do. I haven't changed my mind since then.

I hope you're a female. 😳
 
I have always (ever since I can remember) wanted to be a Physician. When I was 8 I found out what an Ob Gyn was and I was convinced that was what I wanted to do. I haven't changed my mind since then.

Wow, 8?!? That's really young, especially for obgyn.
 
Young Child - Paleontologist
Child - Marine Biologist (that was until I found out I get really bad seasickness)
7-8th Grade - Psychologist
9th Grade - Biomedical Engineer
Current considerations - Physician/Dentist/Pharmacist/PA/Clinical Toxicologist/Clinical Microbiologist
 
Making babies is completely different. I've always been interested in that aspect of life.
 
Young child: Actress
Older child: Astrophysicist
Pre-teen: Addiction specialist (see Dr. Drew Pinsky)
13-16: drop-out/ninja/runaway :laugh:
16-19: Emergency physician
19-23: Veterinarian 😍

Be advised, munchkins: I thought I was going into human medicine for a good chunk of time. And then I started shadowing...
 
Ages 7-9: writer
9-11: lawyer
11 on: physician
now for specialties... (my how things have changed along the way)

middle school: ophthalmology
high school: neurosurgery (based on interest in neurology/ neuroscience) / CT surgery (based on shadowing)
college: neurology/ psychiatry/ cardiology -> shadowed all three extensively, cardiology won out
got to med school 100% sure cardiology would be it.

med school:
first year: still cardiology
second year: cardiology
third year: crap, i like everything BUT inpatient internal medicine, maybe i want to be a surgeon?! Maybe peds? What can I do that doesn't involve rounds, gives me time to have a life outside of work, has people I get along with, has a lot of sick people, allows me to see kids, adults, men and women and won't let me get bored?
Result: EM.
 
Kindergarten: Physician, Professional lion tamer, Astronaut, and a Transformer.

6 years old: Physician, Einstein, and an Engineer. I wanted to create a robot so I destroyed my mother's photographic camera and glued the pieces together with silicon. After 2 days I couldn't figure out why they weren't moving so I glued more pieces.

7 yrs old: Physician and an Engineer. After reading a chapter of electrical energy I discovered batteries were a source of energy. Stole all the batteries from electrical gadgets and glued them on my robot.

8 yrs old: Neurological Surgeon. Back in the days I used to call it "Guy that fixes brains." At this point I thought that despite having energy and a metal "body" my robot needed something more. Thanks to a Larousse dictionary I learned about the nervous system. I made it my mission to give my robot a brain.

14 yrs old: OB/GYN. A teen, curious, single... obvious reasons :banana:

15 yrs old -- to present: Went back to the Neurological Surgeon track and since then it has been my desire. hehe. I am still single though :cry:

And you're from Sweden? How does the medical education system work there?
 
I am not Swedish nysegop, my ex is 🙁. However, I can answer you correctly :d

The way it works in sweden... you take tests before finishing "high school," just like the SAT but a little more rigorous and it is the country's official examination. If you are deemed worthy you can apply to medical schools in sweden. You don't have to do the "Pre-med" part, you go straight to medical school. Nevertheless, the process is different than in the US. You do the application, no research/volunteering/shadowing/outstanding things are needed, letters of recommendation are fine but not a must, and country's test scores. The top applicants are evaluated after this point. There is a drop from 500 applicants to 300 (+-). Then they are reevaluated. When the interviews take place, they are not with a faculty member. Interviews are conducted by a professional psychologist as mandated by the university. They literally round the numbers to 100 applicants. Then, when they chose their 70 best and brightest, a draw takes place and the lucky 50 get the place in the medical school.
So, even if you are the best applicant luck will decide your fate... =]

In Britain they skip college and go straight to "university" where they learn medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In order -

president
NFL player
architect
musician
physician

Lol'd

Nba player
Business related
Lawyer(watched too much damn Suits)
Business related
Personal trainer
Physical therapist
Financial advisor
Physical therapist & personal trainer