What Are Alternatives to Pharmacy? I'm Out of Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nah, User Name doesn't check out. I suspect when Modest Anteater comes back it will be as Ignoble Iguana (hey Modest, feel free to use that name, if you haven't already come up with a new name.)

I was going by the "privilege to live indoors and owning a vehicle", his go to phrase.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear LivingMyBestLife,
I don't have my parents anymore. They have longed since passed away. I don't have any family. Also, the public transportation is really bad where I am, so I would be unable to take a bicycle everywhere, especially if there are several inches of snow. Happy holidays to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear LivingMyBestLife,
I don't have my parents anymore. They have longed since passed away. I don't have any family. Also, the public transportation is really bad where I am, so I would be unable to take a bicycle everywhere, especially if there are several inches of snow. Happy holidays to you.
I'm sorry to hear that. Don't listen to these people that bring you down for no reason. I know it could be tough not having at job as a pharmacist. I've been there. I was laid off for about a month and it was the most difficult time of my life. Regardless of your financial and family situation, when you're a medical professional but not be able to work due to people in your profession messing things up could be difficult to accept. Hang in there. If all fails, maybe you could get any non-pharmacy job that's available for now while you look for a pharmacist job.

Reactions: 1 users
Dear LivingMyBestLife,

Justine,

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry to hear that your parents are gone. Given your situation I would apply for federal aid in the form of EBT (food stamps). A single individual can qualify for $192 a month that can be used on any cold food items. After 3 months they will cut you off unless you find a job part time. I find that 192 is way more than enough to live on in terms of food. I mainly eat ramen, eggs with tuna while even splurging on brand name bottle water. The hardest part of this is putting your ego away. I know many people that should be getting EBT that refuse to do so because they don't want to think of themselves as in hardship.

As far as housing there is a wait list for most places but you can qualify for emergency shelters. I would recommend against this though as most shelters require you to be inside by ~6pm. I would recommend tent living over this. Better than tent living is car living. I would give your car back and buy a cheaper one that you can afford for 500 bucks that runs. You must also get a private mailbox at UPS NOT a PO BOX. this is to be used on your DL and for job applications as you will be discriminated against if a potential future employer realizes how destitute you are.

As far as bad transportation, you will have to live in the city or nearby. Without transportation, and in the dead of winter, you will be in very poor shape. It is possible to walk for up to 12 miles a day at 20 min a mile if you have good boots that work well in the winter.

It's important to have access to the internet so I would invest in a laptop that has a long battery life. That way you can charge it at Starbucks and McDonald and use the free wifi.

OVerall it would be best to try to get a job as a pharmacist but I understand this may not be realistic for you right now. You are not alone. I know many out of work pharmacists. Some live at home with their parents, others work in fast food or at walmart. Luckily with IBR, specifically IBR-PAYE you will have to pay 0 a year towards your loans and they will be gone in 20 years. I would try to get a job at an independent as a tech (if in a state that doesn't regulate technicians) or as a non-tech helper in states that do regulate such as Virgina as this would look good on your resume for potential future pharmacist jobs.

I have lots of experience living in non-ideal situations so feel free to ask me any questions about surviving on very low income. I am also a pharmacist that is not currently working as a pharmacist so I can understand your situation with a high level of empathy. Please try to keep your mental health in good shape as that is one of the most important things.

Sincerely the best,

-Livingmybestlife

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users