What are my CARIBBEAN chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Domonicus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's a "What are my chances?" section but I was told to come here for the Caribbean specifically.

-23 yr old black male

- cGPA 2.86

- mcat not taken yet

- not sure of science and math gpa

Right now I'm getting ready to graduate from FAMU with a bachelore's degree in nursing. I am contracted with my local hospital for 18 months as a RN after graduation. I do have a dirty damning factor though. Last semester I got a F in one of my nursing courses. Because of that I had to take 2 I's. This semester I should get a B or a C in that course and an A and a B for the I's. I work at the hospital as a sitter(just watch high risk patients all day).

For my ECs and experience(minus all the nursing i've done and will do), I work at the hospital as a sitter(just watch high risk patients all day). Also in a salsa dance team/club at FSU and have been active there for 3 years. I also have been getting scholarships at FAMU for plaing viola which I've been doing since the 4th grade.

Though my dean and I are not on good terms, a handful of nursing instructors with PhDs like me and would give me good LOCs along with some other old instructors(one being provost VP!). Funny enough, a lot of people and instructors questioned my judgement when I went to nursing school telling me "I shouldn't waste my talents". I went to nursing school to up my chances for med school admission...though my gpa was a 2.99 when I got into nursing school.

Sorry if I wrote too much fluff.

I think my best bet is one of the big 4s in the Caribbean. I realize there is NO WAY ill get into an American med school. Suggestions anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I know there's a "What are my chances?" section but I was told to come here for the Caribbean specifically.

-23 yr old black male

- cGPA 2.86

- mcat not taken yet

- not sure of science and math gpa

Right now I'm getting ready to graduate from FAMU with a bachelore's degree in nursing. I am contracted with my local hospital for 18 months as a RN after graduation. I do have a dirty damning factor though. Last semester I got a F in one of my nursing courses. Because of that I had to take 2 I's. This semester I should get a B or a C in that course and an A and a B for the I's. I work at the hospital as a sitter(just watch high risk patients all day).

For my ECs and experience(minus all the nursing i've done and will do), I work at the hospital as a sitter(just watch high risk patients all day). Also in a salsa dance team/club at FSU and have been active there for 3 years. I also have been getting scholarships at FAMU for plaing viola which I've been doing since the 4th grade.

Though my dean and I are not on good terms, a handful of nursing instructors with PhDs like me and would give me good LOCs along with some other old instructors(one being provost VP!). Funny enough, a lot of people and instructors questioned my judgement when I went to nursing school telling me "I shouldn't waste my talents". I went to nursing school to up my chances for med school admission...though my gpa was a 2.99 when I got into nursing school.

Sorry if I wrote too much fluff.

I think my best bet is one of the big 4s in the Caribbean. I realize there is NO WAY ill get into an American med school. Suggestions anyone?

Try Windsor or SJSM..they only care for money and you basically have to "self study" the medical materials at these schools. If you did bad in nursing school, those schools i gave you will give you a chance to take the Step 1 if you pass their tests.

If you want to try the Caribbean, only apply to the big4, SGU,ROSS,AUC,SABA.

If you get admitted to SABA go there. I say this because it is cheaper with fewer distractions. The first semester should tell you whether you should be there or not. If you study hard and do well, then good luck. If the first semester is a struggle, then bail. The worst scenario would be to game the system and hang on for 3 or more semesters only to be dismissed.
Don't go to any of the other schools.
Have you taken college level organic or biochem. I'm not talking about chemistry for nurses. If so' how did you do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to offend you, but what makes you think that you should even be going to medical school. Maybe I could understand a sub 3.0 GPA with a crazy major like biochemical engineering or at a intense university but you are in a nursing program (far easier than the the traditional pre-med courses) at a non-prestigious institution. Instead of focusing on med school, mabye you should first try to excel at nursing since your GPA and F last semster make me queston whetehr you're ready to handle that even.
You are wrong... Nursing school core classes (pharmacology, pathophysiology, Medical-Surgical Nursing etc...) are tougher than premed classes, and I am talking from experience. I got my nursing degree at a state college and I had mostly Cs in my classes. Then I did my premed at a state university, and the only class I had a B was orgoII because the prof was an "A Ho" .

I think the OP should try his luck at some premed classes at a major local university after he finishes nursing school, since it seems he's committed to that path for the time being. We don't know why he did poorly in nursing school - was it lack of focus, lack of interest, or inability to tackle the academic curriculum. I agree that the GPA is low.

OP, I don't think you should take the MCAT right now. When are you graduating and starting work as a nurse? I say do that, and then start studying for MCAT. While you are in nursing school, just focus on doing well in that - the patient care experiences and classes can help you later. If you can't commit to doing well in nursing school, why should the med schools assume you'll commit to doing well in med school?

You do come across as kind of cocky - you don't want to do that in your med school application. Medical schools are looking for people like you who are underrepresented minorities with clinical experience working with patients. They just want to know you are academically committed, and have the chops to do the work also. I think you are putting the cart before the horse, and I'd discourage bailing out for the Caribbean right now. I disagree that you never have a chance at a US school - you will have to explain the F and in a way that doesn't sound whiny, and you will have to show you can excel in premed courses. If you could take, say, upper level 400 level biology major classes and the chemistry courses that premed students take at the best local university you can find, I think that would go far in impressing the admissions committees. DO schools also like applicants with clinical experience like nursing and I think they are a better and safer option than going to the Caribbean also.

Also, I don't think URM is a factor at caribbean schools. I agree with the previous post.

1. finish the degree
2. retake science classes < B (not nursing of course)
3. DO does grade replacement, Carib won't
4. DO may show consideration to you being URM.
5. I would put off med school and suggest a 1 year postbacc

>3.0 GPA & 24 MCAT + early/broad application= URM will get in to a DO school somewhere. If not, >3.0 & 24 looks good for Ross during Jan or May start times. AVoid September classes because they seem the most competitive. ( >3.2 GPA, >24 MCAT--Ross. SGU is much higher I think)

* Not to sound bad but if this is too much, I think medical school is not the best decision (especially a carib med school)

Not to offend you, but what makes you think that you should even be going to medical school. Maybe I could understand a sub 3.0 GPA with a crazy major like biochemical engineering or at a intense university but you are in a nursing program (far easier than the the traditional pre-med courses) at a non-prestigious institution. Instead of focusing on med school, mabye you should first try to excel at nursing since your GPA and F last semster make me queston whetehr you're ready to handle that even.

Responding to your statement 8 years later: What makes me think I should even be going to medical school? Simple determination and dismissing naysayers. I spent 3 years in nursing, went to Ross, and completed the curriculum without failures, passed all my steps, and landed my top choice in FM in my first cycle. It was a journey and residency will continue to be so. But regardless of my undergrad GPA, course of study, and universities I studied at, at the end of the day, I have a spot and will be called Doctor.

DEUCES!

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations! That was a long time laying in waiting to pounce! (haha)

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users