What are my chances ? 2.9 to a 4.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikePhen2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my first undergrad ten years ago with a 2.9 then worked as a software engineer for 10 years. I am just finishing two years of the prereques plus a myriad of other science classes at a 4.0 GPA. I also have a year of hospital volunteer experience and a 32 MCAT score. What do you think my chances are ?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go to either MCW or UW-Madison and also drexel is just as good as harvard.

I think you should apply...you're numbers are pretty good, and you've had really good work experience...why the sudden change in career though? You'll be sure to get that question a lot at your interviews...go for it and good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
MWillie said:
...also drexel is just as good as harvard.

I'd have to disagree.

careful, kids. don't feed the troll

NS

MWillie said:
I think you should go to either MCW or UW-Madison and also drexel is just as good as harvard.
:laugh:

I love the references to posts of the past "Mikes".

We really should compile a list of the screennames used/suspected by this individual. I'm far to lazy to track them down though.

MikePhen2 said:
I finished my first undergrad ten years ago with a 2.9 then worked as a software engineer for 10 years. I am just finishing two years of the prereques plus a myriad of other science classes at a 4.0 GPA. I also have a year of hospital volunteer experience and a 32 MCAT score. What do you think my chances are ?
you def have chances. I'd work on the health care experiences like maybe diversifying...but other than that, two thumbs up

MikePhen2 said:
Hold up...

Sounds great, but just so you know, your postbaccalaureate courses of two years will be combined with your undergrad 2.9 on AMCAS. Just to give you an estimate of what you're probably looking at:

2.9 GPA undergraduate @ 120 credits
+ 4.0 GPA, 2 years postbaccalaureate @ 64 credits

3.27 undergrad cumulative GPA

Your BCPM (science) GPA will be pretty solid, but your undergrad GPA is still about 0.3 below the average for matriculants. Nevertheless, you've got a big upward trend and a good MCAT score. I still think you'll have a good shot and I think you should definitely apply. It's also been 10 years since your undergrad, so I think many admissions committees will take not of that. I just thought you should know what numbers you're looking at. Even though all of your recent coursework is a 4.0, the ~3.3 is what will show up as your undergrad cumulative GPA on AMCAS. However, your postbaccalaureate GPA also shows up as its own section, which will work to your advantage.

For example:

Freshman: 2.8 @ 30 credits
Sophomore: 3.0 @ 30 credits
Junior: 2.9 @ 30 credits
Senior: 2.9 @ 30 credits
Postbaccalaureate: 4.0 @ 60 credits
Undergrad cumulative: 3.3 @ 180 credits

Good luck!

Edit: :laugh: Darn it! I guess I missed the reincarnation! :oops: