what are my chances 3.96 gpa/500Mcat?MD or DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cloudx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have time to retake the MCAT? You should def because it is the one thing keeping you from getting into the really good schools

It would be too late to retake for this cycle. Not sure if I should just wait and retake or still apply
I guess I'm still wondering if I would still have a shot at a lower tier MD school or DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be too late to retake for this cycle. Not sure if I should just wait and retake or still apply
I guess I'm still wondering if I would still have a shot at a lower tier MD school or DO schools.
DO absolutely, I'd say you're competitive everywhere. MD not with a 500. That's a 50% score. If MD is your goal I'd wait a year, retake the MCAT while beefing up your volunteering/EC experiences (which are also a bit light) and then reapply.

Thanks for the feedback, I completely agree with you guys. I'll probably apply to my in state MD school and about 10 DO school. If it doesn't work out, I'll just take off a year and retake the mcat.

Thanks for the feedback, I completely agree with you guys. I'll probably apply to my in state MD school and about 10 DO school. If it doesn't work out, I'll just take off a year and retake the mcat.
You will most likely get into DO. Make up your mind if that's okay with you, because applying and then deciding to reapply for MD next year would be a drain of time and money.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably just focus on DO schools and hopefully I'll get into one. Thanks a bunch guys... now to work on my list

This helps a lot! Thanks for the insight, appreciate it.

At best:

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

WVU

Your state school(s)

Any DO school except the NY and CA Touros, CCOM, and AZCOM

For MD apply to your state schools and Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan. Apply to at least 10 DO schools and you should receive some interviews.

Thanks!

For MD apply to your state schools and Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont and Western Michigan. Apply to at least 10 DO schools and you should receive some interviews.

I just got my MCAT scores today. I have a 500 MCAT, current cGPA and sGPA are both 3.8, major in Genetics. Do I have a chance for DO school? ( I'm a resident of Texas)