What are my chances at OB/GYN residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovedaisy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to get into an OB/GYN residency. But, I've been a horrible standardized test taker alll my life and same thing happened to me on the COMLEX. My COMLEX 1 is a little below 450 and I know it's not good. But, anyone still got into an Ob/Gyn residency with a score like that?

Any advice as to how to make myself a competitive applicant?
Any programs that you know of that takes students with low board score?

Members don't see this ad.

OB is pretty competitive as of late; you’d probably need to take usmle as well, have research and get good LORs. I realize that’s not super specific but you need to make your app shine and coming from DO for better or for worse already puts you at a disadvantage

I was going to suggest taking Step 1. But if you're a bad test taker then that might not be a good idea. As it sits I would do like 6 auditions and apply pretty broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm first year, and have been wondering: what do schools send to residency programs? Are specific grades attached, or only that the first 2 years were completed satisfactorily?

They send everything they’ve got on you. Grades From first three years, class rank, how you rank compared to other people in class, mspe letter that contains comments from evals and overall impression of you, and any discplinary actions

Reactions: 1 user