What are my chances.....be honest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am and FMG from Ross and currently finishing my clinical rotations in NY. I graduated from UCLA, I am a US citizen, have 8 years of great research experiance at UCSF and a publication..........but i passed step 1 on the 2nd attempt with 76 and passed step ll with 75. I passed CS. I applied to 60 IM, FMG freindly and all that programs...........NO interview yet..............14 rejection...........every day i get one rejection..........i hate my life right now..............what are my chances.............

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your chances are that low. Have you tried calling programs that you are particularly interested in?

CTKN2 said:
I don't think your chances are that low. Have you tried calling programs that you are particularly interested in?

Does it matter........It feels like i am applying for radiology or plastic surgery...........does step scores really matters this mach? so do you think i should call them? why bother.......the only thing that they look at is the scores...........i can't beleive it........should i wait one year and take step lll and then try again................

sophee said:
I applied to 60 IM, FMG freindly and all that programs...........NO interview yet..............14 rejection...........every day i get one rejection..........i hate my life right now..............what are my chances.............

i agree with the PP...i think you'll end up being ok. please don't stress. :D

Call them! It can't hurt! Also, talk to your advisor about your chances as well. They might know program directors from other programs and put in the good word for you. Also, talk to the PDs at schools where you rotated...they should also be able to help...

the worst that can happen is that you don't match, but then you could scramble into a decent program....all is not lost!!!

Good luck!!

check out scutwork.com for unfilled programs - those are the ones you might be able to scramble into if you don't match...but again, i still think you'll get some interviews...

CTKN2 said:
Call them! It can't hurt! Also, talk to your advisor about your chances as well. They might know program directors from other programs and put in the good word for you. Also, talk to the PDs at schools where you rotated...they should also be able to help...

the worst that can happen is that you don't match, but then you could scramble into a decent program....all is not lost!!!

Good luck!!

I have interviews with FP programs..........if I don't get IM should I rank those programs.............or should i wait to scramble for IM..........and If i can't scramble what happens then.............
Why life has to be so difficult for me................

Why are you using so many periods? I find it hard to imagine that you wont get an IM spot. Do yourself a favor and call or email the programs that rejected you and ask why. Then call the ones that you want and let them know you are interested. You have nothing to lose. You have to get your mind right when you deal with this process or else it will break you!

sophee said:
I am and FMG from Ross and currently finishing my clinical rotations in NY. I graduated from UCLA, I am a US citizen, have 8 years of great research experiance at UCSF and a publication..........but i passed step 1 on the 2nd attempt with 76 and passed step ll with 75. I passed CS. I applied to 60 IM, FMG freindly and all that programs...........NO interview yet..............14 rejection...........every day i get one rejection..........i hate my life right now..............what are my chances.............

Hmmm, there is always the military.

EctopicFetus said:
Why are you using so many periods? I find it hard to imagine that you wont get an IM spot. Do yourself a favor and call or email the programs that rejected you and ask why. Then call the ones that you want and let them know you are interested. You have nothing to lose. You have to get your mind right when you deal with this process or else it will break you!

Sorry about the periods, i was trying to use transitions so used periods instead. Wow, you are very sensitive. I will make sure not to piss you off.lol.
Thanks for the advise, i will try and call them and see.

sophee said:

I think a lot of programs use the passing of Step 1 on the first attempt as a screening tool and that is why you are getting rejected from some interviews. But don't worry! You will be ok! You will either match or scramble into a great program. Don't rank the FP if you aren't interested, as a last resort you will be able to scramble into a decent program. And you could also do a year of a different specialty and then transfer into IM no problem.

sophee said:
Sorry about the periods, i was trying to use transitions so used periods instead. Wow, you are very sensitive. I will make sure not to piss you off.lol.
Thanks for the advise, i will try and call them and see.

I am def not sensitive it is just annoying to read much like people who type in caps. As far as ranking Fp, the advice is simple, if you really dont want to do it then you shouldnt. You will only be miserable and it will show in your work. Go for what makes you happy, and while things might look bleak right now there is time for things to work out and for your sake I hope they do! Best of luck!

EctopicFetus said:
I am def not sensitive it is just annoying to read much like people who type in caps. As far as ranking Fp, the advice is simple, if you really dont want to do it then you shouldnt. You will only be miserable and it will show in your work. Go for what makes you happy, and while things might look bleak right now there is time for things to work out and for your sake I hope they do! Best of luck!

I am getting a lot of interviews in FP. Now if i wait to scramble for IM and or wait a year and still don't get in, and if apply to the same FP program next year will they give me an interview again. How does it work, what should I do, should i go to these interviews.

Why such a strong preference for IM over FP?

If the FP interview is at a place where you would consider doing IM I would go to the interview. It might be easier to transfer within a university where you know people. And at least if you get your first year out of the way you can get a license even though you might end up spending an extra year in residency. You don't have to rank the FP programs if you don't want to.

sophee said:
Does it matter........It feels like i am applying for radiology or plastic surgery...........does step scores really matters this mach? so do you think i should call them? why bother.......the only thing that they look at is the scores...........i can't beleive it........should i wait one year and take step lll and then try again................

dude, you have nothing to lose by calling. the worst they can say is no... or just blow you off, you have nothing to lose....you're showing interest and some prog may like that. dont be lazy, pick up the phone and do some hardcore acting

realruby2000 said:
dude, you have nothing to lose by calling. the worst they can say is no... or just blow you off, you have nothing to lose....you're showing interest and some prog may like that. dont be lazy, pick up the phone and do some hardcore acting

Thanks guys,
i will call the programs, i hope that will help.two more rejections, when will this stop.