What are my chances for Caribbean Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

panther1123

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Coming out of high school, I was a top flight student who was given a guaranteed acceptances into med school given I maintain a 3.5 gpa and a 27 MCAT.

4 years later I am at another university completing my bachelors. My GPA is a horrid 2.3 and I took the MCAT once an made a 15. I have two more semesters at my current institution to finish a bachelors in neuroscience. My biggest flaw has been focusing. It is not that I cannot retain knowledge, but simply have not made the attempt. I get distracted easily. However, when focused, I can get a lot done.

My question is, what are my chances of getting into medical school somewhere (I know the US is out of question). I am looking for finishing up this semester with a 3.5 for the semester and aiming to 4.0 the final two. I will attempt to take the MCAT again.

My goal is to get into a Big 4 school at the Caribbeans. I have gotten stuff in the mail for Ross and SGU. What are my chances or other options international elsewhere. If I can get my GPA to over 2.5 and score a 25ish on the MCAT, what then?

I have read many threads here and I know many will try to persuade me to look at another profession, but my heart is set on medicine. I would appreciate directions to getting into a Big 4 med school in the Caribbeans or somewhere is Australia, Poland, etc.

Thanks.
 
ADHD?

If you can't focus now, what makes you think you'll be able to in medical school? It's not a walk in the park, as I'm sure you've surmised from your research here.

-Skip
 
I have. However, I have placed an increased dedication in finishing strong and it can be seen in my current semester. If I finish strong and retake the MCAT, what should I be aiming for to get into Ross or another school of that nature. I would welcome getting MERPed and proving my worth there. I just need to get it. That is what I am trying to find out to set expectations so I can apply for the January term.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Look at the thread where I talk about how much it will cost to go to Ross right now:

The Cost of Caribbean Medical School

Now, really, really do some soul-searching. Why do you want to be a doctor so badly? Because, in the end, you're still going to be "you". It changes you, yes, but not that much. You're still going to have any issues/insecurities that you have now. Trust me.

I wouldn't recommend starting at any medical school if you are not 100% sure that a) you want it for the "right" reasons and b) you can ultimately succeed. Only you can answer those questions. But, just know failure comes at a very high price, both emotionally and financially.

Good luck.

-Skip
 
Have you ever tried getting help with your ability to focus? Maybe it is an undiagnosed case of ADHD or ADD. Whatever the case, you need to address it now before you even get into med school. Not only will there be a much larger amount of information thrown at you, but there will be even more standardized exams which you will need to do well on in order to succeed (USMLE Step 1, Step 2, Step 3). And if you go to the Caribbean, an average score on USMLE is not going to cut it. You need to be above average in order to have a chance at matching into the specialty you desire. And by above average, I mean better than an AMG. And the ability to focus is crucial in patient care. What happens if you get distracted and end up making a mistake with a patient's drug dosage, or if you miss an important finding? I agree with Skip. You really need to make sure medicine is the career for you, and that you are able to meet the challenge. Not everyone is cut out for this profession.