What are my chances for psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1150906

3rd year here, passed level 1. Still have yet to take Level 2. COMLEX only applicant. 1 publication in a non-psych field. Didn't honor any rotations, no fails or red flags. I understand psych is getting more competitive so I will be dual applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
20220616_214733.jpg

You're probably fine, but would consider dual applying

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told repeatedly by my school that this data will change now that step/level1 are pass/fail--they expect that, now that the exams aren't scored, it won't matter as much for DO students to not have step 1. Thoughts?
my personal opinion is that most PDs will probably even moreso focus on step. it's entirely possible that your school may be right in the long term, but I don't think it's worth the risk of not taking step unless you're barely passing comlex

Reactions: 1 users
I tend to not trust any advice given by DO schools. A lot of them say you don't need to take step and it wont hurt you that much. you should, it does.
I've been told repeatedly by my school that this data will change now that step/level1 are pass/fail--they expect that, now that the exams aren't scored, it won't matter as much for DO students to not have step 1. Thoughts

Reactions: 2 users
Psychiatry is not like other fields. The most important aspect of your application is the perceived commitment to the field. As long as you pass your licensing exams and do reasonably okay, you are a contender for matching

Reactions: 1 users
I tend to not trust any advice given by DO schools. A lot of them say you don't need to take step and it wont hurt you that much. you should, it does.
I think that what you're saying has definitely been true for a lot of DO schools, and the data historically has supported your point (unless applying FM, peds, sometimes IM, etc)--but we really don't know how step 1 going P/F is going to affect the match yet. I think it's very possible that it may make it less important to have both level 1 and step 1. That said, I also suspect it will make having a good step 2 *more* important.

Programs can simple apply a step 1 P filter. Why shoot yourself in the foot if you don’t have to. Just take all 4 tests, it’s the DO tax. It is what it is

Programs can simple apply a step 1 P filter. Why shoot yourself in the foot if you don’t have to. Just take all 4 tests, it’s the DO tax. It is what it is
I am not a good test taker and my scores were not passing for step so I didn't take it. I have decided to apply COMLEX only as a result.

I am not a good test taker and my scores were not passing for step so I didn't take it. I have decided to apply COMLEX only as a result.
if you weren't passing, taking step would have been a horrible idea. you did the right thing in that case. it's still very possible to match psych w only comlex

Reactions: 4 users
my personal opinion is that most PDs will probably even moreso focus on step. it's entirely possible that your school may be right in the long term, but I don't think it's worth the risk of not taking step unless you're barely passing comlex
I agree. When a data point says "pass" but it is a less challenging exam compared to another one that says "pass," well... If I've got two DOs applying I'm going to pick the one with the harder exam marked pass, since I don't know if your COMLEX would have been a 400 or a 700, but I know a Step pass likely puts you around 500+. Just my opinion though, everyone is going to look at this differently.

If you likely wouldn't have passed you did the right thing. It may give you a slight disadvantage, so make sure you apply accordingly- more programs, wider area. You'll more likely than not match, but even in a best case scenario these days 10% of people don't so make sure you've got that backup

If you likely wouldn't have passed you did the right thing. It may give you a slight disadvantage, so make sure you apply accordingly- more programs, wider area. You'll more likely than not match, but even in a best case scenario these days 10% of people don't so make sure you've got that backup
Got ya. Ill apply IM as a back up.