What are my chances!? Help Needed!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossimo870

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted my situation in the pre-dental forum last week, but now need a little specific post-bacc advice. Quick bio:

26 yrs old, just graduated with a bachelors in psych after a full 7 years of undergraduate studies. I started college at Northeastern University as an exercise physiology major, but moved home and switched to Hofstra. I received an A in Gen Chem, B in Bio, B in Stats (one semester), and a B- in Orgo 1 (C+ in lab). I have not taken Orgo 2, Physics, or Calculus yet.

I was originally pre-med. Over the years, I decided that I no longer wanted to go to med school, and completely lost my focus in school. I literally stopped trying. The real unfortunate part of my undergrad career is that I have about 8-9 "UW" on my transcript. (An unofficial withdrawal, meaning that I stopped showing up early on in the semester, and the teacher gave me a UW. It doesn't count toward my GPA). I graduated with a 3.3 from Hofstra, but that doesn't take into account my NEU classes. (overall GPA is about a 3.1). I also have about 4 months of research experience out of Mass General Hospital’s anesthesia’s research lab (volunteer).

Now, finally at 26, I have my focus back and have been seriously considering dental school. I am ready to do whatever it takes to get accepted.

I called Columbia’s post-bacc program today, and they said that since I still have Orgo, Physics, and Calc to take, I would be eligible to apply. My main concern is, do I have any chance of actually getting into Columbia’s post-bacc program? What about Stony Brook’s? I am thinking that all of the UW's are going to look pretty bad to the admissions board.

ANY advice about my question, or direction I should be heading in would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

well STony Brook does have a good one..i would call to make sure that they would except you since you do have like half of the pre-reqs done...also i would look into:
Hunter College
City College
NYU (not sure how they would feel since half of your pre-reqs are done)
NY is not far from Jersey, try Rutgers in NB..they have a great postbac there too

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
I actually spoke to someone in the post bacc-office yesterday at SB and Columbia. Both schools said that I was right on the border, but that I would qualify to apply to the formal post-bacc at both schools. NYU's program looks great, and I will definitely call NYU, Hunter College, and City College next week.

I was also looking at Adelphi's program. The program looks great, but I can't seem to find any personal feedback about it. I live very close to Adelphi, and that would certainly be the most convienent!

ANY MORE HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Thanks!