What are my chances!? Help Needed!!!

mossimo870

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2008
  1. Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone,

I posted my situation in the pre-dental forum last week, but now need a little specific post-bacc advice. Quick bio:

26 yrs old, just graduated with a bachelors in psych after a full 7 years of undergraduate studies. I started college at Northeastern University as an exercise physiology major, but moved home and switched to Hofstra. I received an A in Gen Chem, B in Bio, B in Stats (one semester), and a B- in Orgo 1 (C+ in lab). I have not taken Orgo 2, Physics, or Calculus yet.

I was originally pre-med. Over the years, I decided that I no longer wanted to go to med school, and completely lost my focus in school. I literally stopped trying. The real unfortunate part of my undergrad career is that I have about 8-9 "UW" on my transcript. (An unofficial withdrawal, meaning that I stopped showing up early on in the semester, and the teacher gave me a UW. It doesn't count toward my GPA). I graduated with a 3.3 from Hofstra, but that doesn't take into account my NEU classes. (overall GPA is about a 3.1). I also have about 4 months of research experience out of Mass General Hospital’s anesthesia’s research lab (volunteer).

Now, finally at 26, I have my focus back and have been seriously considering dental school. I am ready to do whatever it takes to get accepted.

I called Columbia’s post-bacc program today, and they said that since I still have Orgo, Physics, and Calc to take, I would be eligible to apply. My main concern is, do I have any chance of actually getting into Columbia’s post-bacc program? What about Stony Brook’s? I am thinking that all of the UW's are going to look pretty bad to the admissions board.

ANY advice about my question, or direction I should be heading in would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!

NutCracker2021

~Keeping Faith~
    10+ Year Member
    Feb 24, 2008
    NJ
    1. Pre-Medical
      well STony Brook does have a good one..i would call to make sure that they would except you since you do have like half of the pre-reqs done...also i would look into:
      Hunter College
      City College
      NYU (not sure how they would feel since half of your pre-reqs are done)
      NY is not far from Jersey, try Rutgers in NB..they have a great postbac there too

mossimo870

10+ Year Member
      Nov 22, 2008
      1. Pre-Dental
        Hey,
        Thanks for the reply.
        I actually spoke to someone in the post bacc-office yesterday at SB and Columbia. Both schools said that I was right on the border, but that I would qualify to apply to the formal post-bacc at both schools. NYU's program looks great, and I will definitely call NYU, Hunter College, and City College next week.

I was also looking at Adelphi's program. The program looks great, but I can't seem to find any personal feedback about it. I live very close to Adelphi, and that would certainly be the most convienent!

ANY MORE HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
        Thanks!

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.