What are my chances...? HELP

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Illinitrack, 01.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Illinitrack

Illinitrack 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Ok so im a senior about to take the DAT in about a month, been studying like crazy!

Biology Major. My gpa is 3.52 overall, and 3.2 science. a TON of research hours, 600+ shadowing hours. I am VERY active in my community (Big Brothers Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity...etc)

I also am a Division 1 athlete at my school:
    -Big Ten Champion
    -2nd team All American
    -4x NCAA qualifier
    - 6x Academic All-Big Ten

Also to mention, I am an URM & TX resident.
    (from a very low income household)

with all that in college it was very difficult to have time to study and be an athlete.
    What do i need on my DAT, and what are my chances????

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Glimmer1991

Glimmer1991 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You already know your chances, provided you don't make below an 18 on the DAT. :) A 3.2, especially with all of your ECs and being a URM, isn't a deal-breaker. I'd honestly aim for about a 20 on the DAT and I'd say you're golden. Have fun getting an inexpensive dental education in Texas! We're all jealous, LOL.

4. Illinitrack

Illinitrack 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So an 18 would be solid right? The DAT is the most troublesome part im having right now...

5. Glimmer1991

Glimmer1991 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Meh, no, it wouldn't really be solid. I think it'd be risky. You have a lot going for you EC-wise, and being a URM is going to help. That being said, your GPA is below average. I wouldn't couple that with a below average DAT score. I'd aim for 20s across the board.

6. fatham878

fatham878 Class of 2018! 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think an 18 would be alright, no guarantees for this score though. 19 would be solid. 20 would be even more solid :). High scores in the sciences will help compensate for your lower sGPA though.

Last edited: 01.27.14
  7. Naphen

Naphen

Pre-Dental
    I do not know how much weight your involvement and achievements in sports will bring into your application, but your GPA and Science GPA is decent.
    If you want choices I would aim for AT LEAST a 20. My GPA was around yours, and I got a 20 on the DAT and had 5 interviews, 3 waitlist, 1 acceptance.
    Applied to 17 schools though

About the ads