What are my chances...? HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illinitrack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so im a senior about to take the DAT in about a month, been studying like crazy!

Biology Major. My gpa is 3.52 overall, and 3.2 science. a TON of research hours, 600+ shadowing hours. I am VERY active in my community (Big Brothers Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity...etc)

I also am a Division 1 athlete at my school:
-Big Ten Champion
-2nd team All American
-4x NCAA qualifier
- 6x Academic All-Big Ten

Also to mention, I am an URM & TX resident.
(from a very low income household)

with all that in college it was very difficult to have time to study and be an athlete.
What do i need on my DAT, and what are my chances????

Members don't see this ad.

You already know your chances, provided you don't make below an 18 on the DAT. :) A 3.2, especially with all of your ECs and being a URM, isn't a deal-breaker. I'd honestly aim for about a 20 on the DAT and I'd say you're golden. Have fun getting an inexpensive dental education in Texas! We're all jealous, LOL.

You already know your chances, provided you don't make below an 18 on the DAT. :) A 3.2, especially with all of your ECs and being a URM, isn't a deal-breaker. I'd honestly aim for about a 20 on the DAT and I'd say you're golden. Have fun getting an inexpensive dental education in Texas! We're all jealous, LOL.
So an 18 would be solid right? The DAT is the most troublesome part im having right now...

Members don't see this ad :)
So an 18 would be solid right? The DAT is the most troublesome part im having right now...

Meh, no, it wouldn't really be solid. I think it'd be risky. You have a lot going for you EC-wise, and being a URM is going to help. That being said, your GPA is below average. I wouldn't couple that with a below average DAT score. I'd aim for 20s across the board.

I think an 18 would be alright, no guarantees for this score though. 19 would be solid. 20 would be even more solid :). High scores in the sciences will help compensate for your lower sGPA though.

Last edited:
I do not know how much weight your involvement and achievements in sports will bring into your application, but your GPA and Science GPA is decent.
If you want choices I would aim for AT LEAST a 20. My GPA was around yours, and I got a 20 on the DAT and had 5 interviews, 3 waitlist, 1 acceptance.
Applied to 17 schools though