If I was an emergency vet alumna evaluating you as part of the admissions process for my school, I would likely not pass you on for evaluation. I appreciate the sentiment, but to have ~100-150 hours in emergency medicine, want to specialize, and then hopefully make emergency medicine more affordable would seem like naivete to me.
Came here to say the exact same thing. The fact that your stated goal for becoming a vet is to make ER more affordable alone tells me you do not have enough experience in the veterinary field, let alone saying you want to do ER after only 15 hours of shadowing.
I'm being a bit snarky going forward, but also completely serious. I was ECC for almost three years and dabble in relief. Reading that definitely struck a nerve with me. Personally I would not even bring up the idea that you 'will make ER more affordable' in any essay, interview, etc. It's noble in theory, I suppose, but so, so naïve. I agree with @battie completely in that if I were on the panel, I would toss your app aside as well. Table that dream until you get in, graduate, and are sure you want to do ER. Then you can totally open up your low-cost ER clinic and watch it close down 6 months later.
If you don't understand why this is the reaction you are getting to that statement, that's proof that you need more experience both in the field in general and specifically ER.
Also ETA: If you're going to apply this year anyways and plan to address the deficiency in experience in your personal statement, I'm curious to hear what your plan is for that. What would you be saying to the admissions committees?
I wanted to be a zoo vet (I DEFINITELY don't)
Why not? You don't like every animal hating you, constantly putting out major chaotic fires involving critically endangered animals, and wishing you were paid better?
