What are my Chances? Losing Hope!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AznDocta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Canadian Student applying to US Medical school.

BCPM: 3.93 AO:3.96 Total: 3.94

MCAT: 512 (128/125/130/129) 87 percentile

Editor of 2 anatomy textbooks used to teach courses at my university
100+ physician shadowing hours
3 years of cancer research
4 years of being in this club that delivers food to homeless shelters
More...

Schools:
albert einstein
boston U
Case wastern
Central Michi
Columbia U
UCLA
Geisel
George Washington
Stanford
Stony Brooks
Tufts
UCSF
UCC
UNC
U of pitts
U of virg
Warren alpert
Yale
wayne state
mich state
oakland
georgtown

I know it's just a quick glimpse of my application. Since I'm a Canadian student, I'm kinda clueless of how applicants are supposed to be for US medical schools.

So what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying next year?
No clinical experience at all?

Hey, so your stats (specifically MCAT) are too low for many (at least half) of the schools on your list.

What you need to do is download the MSAR if you haven't already, go through and figure out which medical schools accept international applicants (there are 62 I believe), and then make a list of schools that have median MCAT scores in the 30-33 range. After that, pick and choose which ones you like, though you should likely apply to at least 25 schools given your average MCAT and international status. After you have that, come back with a more informed list and we can help optimize it.

Also, as the above poster said, you're going to be DOA without any active clinical experience. Shadowing is passive and while it gives you a good idea of what physicians do on a daily basis, it doesn't give you experience working with patients or in a healthcare setting yourself. If you're looking for things to do, common activities that give clinical experience are ED volunteering, scribing, and hospice volunteering, though there are many more activities that are encompassed under the clinical experience umbrella.

Members don't see this ad :)
I almost never recommend people retaking good scores but as a Canadian of you have strong reason to believe you can get a 35+ equivalent on a retake I would give reconsideration to a retake. 35+ Would help your case a lot as an international

As is you gotta target schools with median mcats in the 30-33 range as a Canadian. Alwo make sure you are only applying to schools that accept internationals. I would consider giving consideration to DO programs as well

A cursory review of your school list indicates that you have not yet done enough research.
For example, UNC interviewed no internationals last year, Brown (W Alpert) matriculated only one and UCSF interviewed but one...
Many of the schools that ostensibly consider internationals are doing so to keep that option open for the rare exceptional candidate.
What school is UCC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Canadian Student applying to US Medical school.

BCPM: 3.93 AO:3.96 Total: 3.94

MCAT: 512 (128/125/130/129) 87 percentile

Editor of 2 anatomy textbooks used to teach courses at my university
100+ physician shadowing hours
3 years of cancer research
4 years of being in this club that delivers food to homeless shelters
More...

Schools:
albert einstein
boston U
Case wastern
Central Michi
Columbia U
UCLA
Geisel
George Washington
Stanford
Stony Brooks
Tufts
UCSF
UCC
UNC
U of pitts
U of virg
Warren alpert
Yale
wayne state
mich state
oakland
georgtown

I know it's just a quick glimpse of my application. Since I'm a Canadian student, I'm kinda clueless of how applicants are supposed to be for US medical schools.

So what are my chances?

Have you tried to apply in Canada at all? Your chances as an IP applicant is much better than if you were an international.

Have you tried to apply in Canada at all? Your chances as an IP applicant is much better than if you were an international.

I second this. Most US schools only interview international schools that are truly exceptional, and while Canada is extremely competitive for admission you still have a better chance there.