What are my chances of getting accepted if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jet1515

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm currently a junior, and I'm very nervous about my chances of getting into a Optometry school. I currently have 3.9 science GPA and a 3.7 overall GPA. I'm in a honors biology society (which I plan to run for a leadership position), have done a good amount community service, and I'm planning on doing cancer research with one of my professors this fall. I am going to be shadowing a MD in a few weeks and plan on shadowing several optometrists. Do you think I have a good chance of getting accepted? I was thinking of applying to UAB, but I know they only accept around 40 students each year.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

why are you shadowing an MD if you want to go to Optometry school?

why are you shadowing an MD if you want to go to Optometry school?
Good point. I mean, its not necessarily a bad thing to get health care experience, but you you should be emphasizing your OD shadowing more on your applications. With your GPA, you should be ok with decent OAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Shadow an OPTOMETRIST..

2) What state do you live in? UAB has contracted seats.. For example, here in GA, they only have two seats available... So for me, I'm not wasting my money on UAB... But your GPA is a lot better than mine.. so you have a better shot..

lol. There's really no need to ask such a question if your GPA is that high. Do well on your OAT and shadow an optometrist, you'll be fine.

Hello!

I'm currently a junior, and I'm very nervous about my chances of getting into a Optometry school. I currently have 3.9 science GPA and a 3.7 overall GPA. I'm in a honors biology society (which I plan to run for a leadership position), have done a good amount community service, and I'm planning on doing cancer research with one of my professors this fall. I am going to be shadowing a MD in a few weeks and plan on shadowing several optometrists. Do you think I have a good chance of getting accepted? I was thinking of applying to UAB, but I know they only accept around 40 students each year.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're well on your way to acceptances. However, be sure to distinguish between medical and optometry school. Since you are shadowing both an MD and optometrists, you will be asked by interviewees why you decided to do so.

I guess I should not shadow a MD... I thought any medical experience would be good experience. I will definitely focus on just shadowing several ODs. How long should I shadow? A week?

I guess I should not shadow a MD... I thought any medical experience would be good experience. I will definitely focus on just shadowing several ODs. How long should I shadow? A week?

Actually, it could be a good experience.
I shadowed both an ophthalmologist and optometrists, which allowed me to compare these experiences during my interviews.

It's just much more beneficial to shadow an optometrist if that is the profession you want to venture into. It looks better on your application, and you also learn more about the realistic aspects of your future career.
Realistically, if you have the time to shadow an MD, you can always shadow different optometrists. There are private practice, commercial, hospital-based, ophthalmologist associates, specialities, etc...contact them and see which module of practice suits you best.

Some schools require 40 hours of shadowing, but I think as long as you're still benefitting from the experience (still seeing different cases, getting informative responses from the doctors), I would try to shadow as much as possible.

Sorry, don't know much about UAB. In fact, I don't know of any active members going there (only one posted on the accepted thread)?

Last edited:
question pertinent to jet1515's stats:

How would optometry school admissions look at the cancer research? I know it won't hurt at all, but how much will it help? How about if jet1515 got a publication as well?

thanks and I hope this question will prove to be helpful to jet1515!

question pertinent to jet1515's stats:

How would optometry school admissions look at the cancer research? I know it won't hurt at all, but how much will it help? How about if jet1515 got a publication as well?

thanks and I hope this question will prove to be helpful to jet1515!

To give a qualitative answer: marginally.

Research and publications are generally viewed as a great ADDITION to an already strong application... meaning it will help, but it will NOT replace strong GPA/OAT/LORs/optometry experience.

This isn't really a situation to ask "how much will it help", because it's hard to quantify. If you are in the position of doing research/being published and find that it is taking away from the strength of any of the aforementioned PRIORITIES, discontinue the research and keep your focus on the priorities. If you have everything set already and find that you want to pursue the additional research/publication, go for it. Don't expect it to drastically change the strength of your application though.