What are my chances (Ohio)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glorifiedplumber99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 35 (10 PS, 11 VR, 14 BS)
- 22 year old Ohio resident

~100 hours clinical volunteering in various departments
- no research experience and no employment during undergrad

- Graduating in May with a BS in biology; completed an honors program (all non-major classes taken were either upper level or honors courses)

Activities during gap year that will begin in June:
- 40 hrs per week of either medical scribe or hospital lab technician (sample processing, tests, etc) - leaning towards scribe position

Schools in Ohio that I will apply to:

OSU
UC
Toledo
Wright State

I would like to know what all of you think my chances are at these schools, especially interested in Ohio State, as well as any strengths or weaknesses in my app that I should be aware of.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
major weakness is lack of clinical or altruistic volunteering. your shadowing is a little light too. you need some more time seeing what a doctor's day is like, as well as being around sick or unfortunate people. your stats are good though

Reactions: 1 user
You should add more shadowing and clinical volunteering. Your MCAT is excellent so you should receive some interviews. Apply to some OOS private MD schools also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances excellent except I think the lack of research will kill you for Case, and maybe UC.
Try IU as well!

cGPA: 3.67
sGPA: 3.53
MCAT: 35 (10 PS, 11 VR, 14 BS)
- 22 year old white/asian hybrid, Ohio resident

~100 hours clinical volunteering in various departments [endoscopy, infectious diseases/geriatrics, ambassador role (read: front desk)]
~ 20 hours physician shadowing (roughly 4 hour sessions with physicians including pathologist, OB/GYN, ER doctors, orthopedic surgeon)
- no research experience and no employment during undergrad
- leadership/player role on club baseball team (~14 hour commitment per week plus travel during fall and spring seasons; ~4 hour commitment per week during winter offseason)
- LOR: good LOR from humanities professor, 2 avg LORs from science faculty, considering submitting LOR from club baseball coach/supervisor and physician assistant who supervised me during clinical volunteering (only ~30 hours though)

- Graduating in May with a BS in biology; completed an honors program (all non-major classes taken were either upper level or honors courses)
- Planning on submitting to AMCAS immediately in June

Activities during gap year that will begin in June:
- 40 hrs per week of either medical scribe or hospital lab technician (sample processing, tests, etc) - leaning towards scribe position
- continued clinical volunteering (additional ~30 hours per summer, autumn, and spring)

Schools in Ohio that I will apply to:

OSU
UC
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Case Western

I would like to know what all of you think my chances are at these schools, especially interested in Ohio State, as well as any strengths or weaknesses in my app that I should be aware of.

Chances excellent except I think the lack of research will kill you for Case, and maybe UC.
Try IU as well!
Thank you for the feedback. I've gathered as much regarding Case but I figured I'd throw my hat in. Also planning to apply to many schools in surrounding states but mainly concerned with OH schools as that's where I'd like to stay if possible.

Case doesn't need the donation from your app fees. Take your parents to lunch instead.

Thank you for the feedback. I've gathered as much regarding Case but I figured I'd throw my hat in. Also planning to apply to many schools in surrounding states but mainly concerned with OH schools as that's where I'd like to stay if possible.