What are my chances? Peds, Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zamitide

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Sam. I am a current MSIII at an Osteopathic (DO) med school interested in Pediatrics. I'm looking for advice as I am trying to figure out which peds residency programs to rotate/audition at; however I am uncertain of how competitive I am/what my chances are at various programs.

Some info:
- Osteopathic student at KCUMB, ranked at ~10% of class
- COMLEX 1: 639
- USMLE 1: 238
- No real research (data compilation, got my name on a poster), some volunteering (Peds club)
- All my 3rd year core rotations have been somewhat average (Family and OB both Passes)
[Edit: Honored surgery and will likely high pass/honor IM]
- LORs: I can get 2-3 strong letters from Peds, 1 strong one from IM, and possibly a strong one from Family Med (I thought I did very well in Family but ended up getting 1 point below High Pass)

- Other considerations: I'm from the New England area and would like to return; however NE doesn't seem too receptive of DO's. I am also considering California, Florida, and a few programs in between (see below for list).

- A good number of programs that I am looking at currently require USMLE step 2 scores. These programs are generally 'higher tier' programs. Considering my stats, do I even have a chance at these programs and should I take step 2?

- I do believe that I am not exactly 'top tier' material... but how high can I realistically aim for?

Thank you for any/all advice!
Sam

PS. List of programs I'm looking at right now:
New England: Boston Children's, Mass Gen, Tufts, UMass Med, Dartmouth, Brown, Baystate Med Center, Maine Medical center, University of Connecticut
California: Children's Hosp of LA, UCLA Mattel, Stanford, Children's Hosp of Oakland, UCSF, LA county harbor, UC SD, USC LAC_USC, Kaiser Nor and SoCal, UCSF Fresno, Loma Linda
Florida: All Children's/ Johns Hopkins, Miami Children's, Orlando Health, and Florida Hospital Med Center.
Other programs: Johns Hopkins University, Mayo Clinic (Rochester), Yale-New Haven, University of Colorado, Maimonides Medical Center, UMKC Children's Mercy, and Wright State University.
Are there other programs I should also consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think you are a fairly competitive applicant. You may be surprised at what programs (including NE) are receptive to DOs. At this point, having a strong usmle step 2 score will definitely aid in getting you through the door for some interviews. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are a fairly competitive applicant. You may be surprised at what programs (including NE) are receptive to DOs. At this point, having a strong usmle step 2 score will definitely aid in getting you through the door for some interviews. Good luck!

Thanks for the input! I will take the USMLE 2 then.

If you're willing to go a little more mid-Atlantic, EVMS/CHKD is very DO friendly :)

I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

Your stats look pretty good actually. Your strong Peds letters should help a lot, especially if from well known people/prog director/etc. DO is not as much a hit for Peds as it would be for other specialties such as IM. I didn't see your Peds rotation grade--near honors/high pass?

To boost your application, have a strong pediatrics narrative in your PS. Since you volunteered in Peds club it looks like you've been thinking about the specialty for a while so you should be able to do this.

Have you looked at OHSU in Oregon? very receptive to DOs, smaller program, excellent gen peds training and good for fellowships as well. Also consider UWash if you have a good peds narrative. UCSF, Boston, CHOP are probably reach reach unless you did lots of research or have a truly compelling narrative, but no harm to apply except $$$.

Not to hijack but you asked about grades--how important is it to honor pediatrics? Unlike with other clerkships, our pediatrics grade is basically dependent on our evaluation scores. So while I got a 93 on the exam, I was not in the top 30% for evaluations, so just got a "pass." It has been really discouraging, since I am interested in peds.

Your stats look pretty good actually. Your strong Peds letters should help a lot, especially if from well known people/prog director/etc. DO is not as much a hit for Peds as it would be for other specialties such as IM. I didn't see your Peds rotation grade--near honors/high pass?

Thanks. Just finished Ped's rotation, and I feel pretty confident that I'll get great LoR's (including one from a former UMMS faculty member). Also good news: I did well on the shelf and honored the rotation.

To boost your application, have a strong pediatrics narrative in your PS. Since you volunteered in Peds club it looks like you've been thinking about the specialty for a while so you should be able to do this.

Have you looked at OHSU in Oregon? very receptive to DOs, smaller program, excellent gen peds training and good for fellowships as well. Also consider UWash if you have a good peds narrative. UCSF, Boston, CHOP are probably reach reach unless you did lots of research or have a truly compelling narrative, but no harm to apply except $$$.

Duly noted; I appreciate your input, advice, and suggestions.

Not to hijack but you asked about grades--how important is it to honor pediatrics? Unlike with other clerkships, our pediatrics grade is basically dependent on our evaluation scores. So while I got a 93 on the exam, I was not in the top 30% for evaluations, so just got a "pass." It has been really discouraging, since I am interested in peds.
Check this out: http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/
According to the 2014 NRMP PD survey, grades and honors in clinical clerkship ranked 6th and 9th, respectively (after personal statement and allopathic applicant) in regards to important factors for selecting applicants for interviews.

Update:
Got my Step2 score back, was projected by nbme form 4 to score in the 250s two days before the actual test day, but ultimately scored an disheartening 237 (one point lower than step 1 score). Especially disheartening, because I hoped to break 240 at least. Still awaiting comlex 2, but not too hopeful as I really geared most of my studying for step.

Also as a side note, I'll prob be adjusting my goals a couple notches lower than CHOP/boston etc. Suggestions are welcome. (Thanks chemta2006)

@Bean_Bunny I know you stated that a strong step 2 would help, but how much would a 1 point drop (lower step 2) hurt? If anyone else wana chime in that'd be much appreciated.

Update:
Comlex 2 came back: 650. I assume it isn't worth much esp if I am applying for ACGME residencies.

Last edited: