What are my chances? Research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frozensphagetti

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on chances of matching orthopaedics. With a 230 step 1 score, is there a realistic shot at matching or is it time to be realistic and move on. I really do not want to give up on my dream but I have yet to get any real promising news on my chances. I am willing to do a research year but the people I have asked (including my own PD) say it will not improve my application significantly. What are your thoughts? Also, if research year is the way to go, how is the best way to land at a program/find programs with research years!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

For applicants with a 221-230 39/62 matched (see charting outcomes).

63% of people matched, so while your odds aren't great overall... if you are a betting man more times than not you would match. If it were me, I would do a research year to try and get pubs/ a solid mentor to make calls for me. There are posts on orthogate every fall / winter for people to apply for research positions

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on chances of matching orthopaedics. With a 230 step 1 score, is there a realistic shot at matching or is it time to be realistic and move on. I really do not want to give up on my dream but I have yet to get any real promising news on my chances. I am willing to do a research year but the people I have asked (including my own PD) say it will not improve my application significantly. What are your thoughts? Also, if research year is the way to go, how is the best way to land at a program/find programs with research years!

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the middle of my research year now. My step 1 was higher than yours but not by too much. If your grades are decent and you're well liked by your home program, you have a decent shot.

I'm biased but I would recommend a research year, particularly at a place that will make sure you're busy (especially if you have very little research). If you want to find an outside program to research at, go on Orthogate and go on the forums. People from all over the country at big academic programs (Rush comes to mind) look for research fellows every year. However, depending on your program, your home faculty might see that as you wanting to leave if you don't do research there. It's dumb imo but I've personally seen it happen.

With that said, you need to kill your step 2 with atleast a 20+ point increase from step 1 to show programs that you can take tests well and do very strategic away rotations. If you do all these things, I think you'll be much better off.

I'm a 250+ applicant struggling for interviews this season. Goodluck.