"What are my chances?" Threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping for the new cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, this is the first time I've ever seen this site. Pretty cool stuff. This is kinda a long post, but if you could bear with me I'd really, really appreciate it.
So yeah, all this is new to me, and I'm applying to DO and MD schools right now. Could someone tell me what my "chances" are for MD and DO schools? Here are my numbers

UCLA undergrad (psychobio major) 3.4 gpa, 3.3 science
UCLA grad (biomedical physics) gpa 3.6
MCAT V11 P10 B9 Q

Experiences:
-hospital volunteering
-ridiculous amount of community service
-currently the chief medical physicist of ucla's veterinary radiation oncology
-3 clinical rotations, including stereotactic spinal radiosurgery
-IMRT, IGRT, immunoradiotherapy thesis research

I read somewhere on this forum that schools like to focus on undergrad gpa's because they don't know how "hard" grad classes are? Do they look at it on a program by program basis at least?? I mean the biomedical physics program at ucla was friggin' rough for me! It's one of 10 AAPM accredited programs in the entire nation and I thought I was gonna lose my mind my first year here haha.
But anyway, any feed back about my chances for med or do school would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!! :)

coharahawk said:
Hey EvoDevo, I was wondering where you got the statistics about 2200 people applying and 750 being accepted with a score of 25 last year. Are there stats for every score telling how many applied vs. how many were accepted?

in addition to page 27 of the new MSAR, there is some data available on FACTS:

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/2004mcatgpa.htm

assuming a normal distribution and applying a probability density function, statistical analysis of my own numeric qualifications renders the following:

overall gpa of ~3.53 (give or take 0.01)
~760 applied, 450 matriculated

science gpa of ~3.50 (give or take 0.01)
~592 applied, 374 matriculated

hm. too bad the term "matriculated" is irrelevant and what I really need is "accepted." fortunately there's a gpa graph on page 29, which says an overall gpa in the range of 3.5-3.75 has about 9000 applicants, with about 5000 accepted.

so in terms of gpa I've got about a 58% chance; in terms of MCAT of 29, there is a 1800/2700 (applied / accepted) = 66.66% chance. too bad I forgot how to do a cross-correlation between the two statistics to see what the combination chance would be :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
dude i forgot everything from biostats.

radioh3ad said:
dude i forgot everything from biostats.

my first day of lecture is tomorrow :cool:

jtank said:
my first day of lecture is tomorrow :cool:

cool. stats is awesome. *hugs TI-83*. yes, this is what I do at 3:14 AM on a sunday night... I calculate probabilities using the TI-83's normalcdf() function using data collected by the AAMC.

(edit: what's sad is I can't tell if I'm sarcastic or not... gosh I should get to bed)

dr.z said:
It's a good summary. Thanks Evo, but I'm sure there will still be more threads poping up.

Good job Evo. It was a great summary. However, you wouldn't have had to post that if pre-meds would go out and do the research on their own. Like you said, we have to learn to think for ourselves, especially if we have goals of being great physicians. I've done research, and I already knew everything you said in the post because of my initiative to learn more. Besides, Im just an INCOMING FRESHMEN. Interpret that however you may.

AWESOME POINTS!!!!! Glad someone finally told it like it is :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ok, just got my MCAT score... 9 VR 11 PS 12 BS = 32 Q. Not bad, not amazing. My GPA 3.8 at McGill, lots of upper level science classes, anatomy, histology, pharmacology, BioChem, Physiology, genetics, etc... Not many humanities, but currrently taking some and will take more. I will probably have approx 21 credits of humanites by the time i apply, which is 7 classes. Some ECs such as volunteering, im currently doing 2 things at my school, did intramural soccer. I was volunteer at phlebotomy clinic and actually did draw blood, seems mad illegal but i did do it. No real research, but am currently taking a BIO lab class, which goes over many molecular technics, such as vector cloning, digests, etc. I am graduting this spring, and am going to find a job for next year, possibly in a lab, or the red cross, so i will get my work experience there. I want to go to a good school, but it does not have to be Harvard or John Hopkins. What are my chances, and which schools do you suggest with my stats, ECS, etc, thanks a lot. ps done 100 hrs of volunteering total so far, more to come in a hospital setting

MASS resident. My ECs are not great, ive done some, but could do more and plan on it. Research will probably be my weak point, unless i get a job in the field. I am applying for 2007. I wanna think everything through and apply early next year, June or July. Location is not too important for me as long as the school is not on a farm, or a city of 2000 residents, I prefer a big city.

NikoNLS8 said:
Ok, just got my MCAT score... 9 VR 11 PS 12 BS = 32 Q. Not bad, not amazing. My GPA 3.8 at McGill, lots of upper level science classes, anatomy, histology, pharmacology, BioChem, Physiology, genetics, etc... Not many humanities, but currrently taking some and will take more. I will probably have approx 21 credits of humanites by the time i apply, which is 7 classes. Some ECs such as volunteering, im currently doing 2 things at my school, did intramural soccer. I was volunteer at phlebotomy clinic and actually did draw blood, seems mad illegal but i did do it. No real research, but am currently taking a BIO lab class, which goes over many molecular technics, such as vector cloning, digests, etc. I am graduting this spring, and am going to find a job for next year, possibly in a lab, or the red cross, so i will get my work experience there. I want to go to a good school, but it does not have to be Harvard or John Hopkins. What are my chances, and which schools do you suggest with my stats, ECS, etc, thanks a lot. ps done 100 hrs of volunteering total so far, more to come in a hospital setting

MASS resident. My ECs are not great, ive done some, but could do more and plan on it. Research will probably be my weak point, unless i get a job in the field. I am applying for 2007. I wanna think everything through and apply early next year, June or July. Location is not too important for me as long as the school is not on a farm, or a city of 2000 residents, I prefer a big city.

I TAed too

NikoNLS8 said:

Did you even read this thread??? :rolleyes:

EvoDevo said:
Did you even read this thread??? :rolleyes:

Okay, obviously some people aren't reading the first post, but I think this could be a good idea. Why not sticky a "What are my chances?" post where EVERYONE can come in and post their stats, ask questions, etc. I know that the MSAR is a great resource, but sometimes people just need to bounce ideas off of others or may not see a weak spot/red flag in their own application. It would lower (hopefully) the number of other threads and still give people a place to post.

Or there could be a subforum - like the MCAT subforum - where people can ask questions and the moderators have experience in that area...maybe some med students that have been on the admissions committee? Or premeds with a lot of interviews/insight that want to help. Then all of the threads could be transferred from pre-allo to there.

Just some ideas, it's a problem that's not going away with just a warning.

Actually, I was thinking about just this very thing [a s/forum] just a few minutes ago. I'll see what we can do. Thanks for the suggestion. :) :thumbup:

What are my chances of guessing if a quote from your post is from my favorite movie? Was it just a saying, or did this come from hearing Tyler Durden's voice ringing out in your head as you watched project mayhem in action? Personally, my favorite seen is the one with the lye...dark, but enlightening. So are my chances good? Did I guess correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.