What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amneil13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I haven't taken the DAT yet and won't until next summer, but I plan to study intermittently for it throughout the spring semester and then 6-7 weeks full time in the summer before my test.

I have about a 3.3 overall gpa and 3.1 science gpa. Most poor grades were early in my ungrad career and I've been doing much better since. I'm a student-athlete at my school and an all-American with several acolades. I have over 100 shadow hours, I'm an eagle scout, have about 80 hours of volunteer work, undergrad research. If I do well on my DAT do I have a good chance of getting into a dental school somewhere? Any other advice about beefing up my resume in the next 7 months?

Thanks to all of you who post on this forum. I've found it to be extremely helpful so far and look forward to contributing up until my hopeful acceptance letter and beyond.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think they have pity on student athletes because of the 20+ hours per week we have to spend on it? Any other pre dds student athletes out there that can weigh in?

Do you think they have pity on student athletes because of the 20+ hours per week we have to spend on it? Any other pre dds student athletes out there that can weigh in?
Keep improving the GPA and score well on the DAT and you'll have a fair shot. Your ECs look very good to me.

I don't think they have pity for anyone. Being successful is difficult. That's why so few people truly are. Excellence must be sought without pity. I was a classical musician. We had classes, and the expectation that we practiced 30hrs a week, in addition to any working we might do. Use this as a strength. Time management is a must. Own your weaknesses. You didn't excel at first, but you got older, and you learned. You grew. Name your faults and they have nothing to beat you with.