What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredr.dee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have applied to DO schools in mid August and am still waiting for my verification. I took my first MCAT this July and got a shameful score of (7/8/8). I knew I could do a lot better so I retook the MCAT today (Sept 18). After taking it, I still feel that I did not give it my best shot. I have some sort of test syndrome where I am too calm during the test and run out of time. I hope that I can raise my 7 in the physics to higher, but I am not sure. I have done Kaplan, AAMC and GS tests with an average of 28. But I am not confident about today's exam.

Here are my stats:

MCAT: 23, retake (-/-/-)
3.7 GPA
Molecular Biology Departmental Citation Award
President's Award for Community Service
Co-founded an international non profit organization
400 hours volunteer
Over 200 hours of clinic
40+ hours shadowing
MD letter of Rec
Community College President's LOR
Hosted DO club events such as MD/DO Panel, DO Talk
Went to Osteopathic workshops
CA resident

I have applied to the 3 free schools at ATSU SOMA, TUCOM-NV, AZCOM.

Where else do I have a shot with my records.

Also, if I do not get above 27, should I retake MCAT in January? Will I still be able to update the medschools with my MCAT score and stand in for this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

VCOM, LUCOM, LECOM...but a lot will ride on the result of your new MCAT anyway, plus your app has not been verified either (prob even after u get your new mcat score back), so I say to chill out until u see ur new mcat score because there is not too much hope with a 23 mcat (and cali resident)

You're dead at AZCOM...their minimum is 29. TUNCOM's avg is 28, so I am not sanguine of your chances there.

SOMA's avg is 27, so it's possible that you're in striking distance.

I cannot recommend that you retake unless you fit that test-taking deficit. How will you survive medical school, where we're addicted ot standardized tests? And COMLEX?????????

I have applied to the 3 free schools at ATSU SOMA, TUCOM-NV, AZCOM.

Where else do I have a shot with my records.

Also, if I do not get above 27, should I retake MCAT in January? Will I still be able to update the medschools with my MCAT score and stand in for this cycle?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user