1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by futuredr.dee, Sep 18, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. futuredr.dee

futuredr.dee

Sep 18, 2014
    So I have applied to DO schools in mid August and am still waiting for my verification. I took my first MCAT this July and got a shameful score of (7/8/8). I knew I could do a lot better so I retook the MCAT today (Sept 18). After taking it, I still feel that I did not give it my best shot. I have some sort of test syndrome where I am too calm during the test and run out of time. I hope that I can raise my 7 in the physics to higher, but I am not sure. I have done Kaplan, AAMC and GS tests with an average of 28. But I am not confident about today's exam.

Here are my stats:

MCAT: 23, retake (-/-/-)
    3.7 GPA
    Molecular Biology Departmental Citation Award
    President's Award for Community Service
    Co-founded an international non profit organization
    400 hours volunteer
    Over 200 hours of clinic
    40+ hours shadowing
    MD letter of Rec
    Community College President's LOR
    Hosted DO club events such as MD/DO Panel, DO Talk
    Went to Osteopathic workshops
    CA resident

I have applied to the 3 free schools at ATSU SOMA, TUCOM-NV, AZCOM.

Where else do I have a shot with my records.

Also, if I do not get above 27, should I retake MCAT in January? Will I still be able to update the medschools with my MCAT score and stand in for this cycle?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. feeling-dizzy

feeling-dizzy

Aug 11, 2014
    VCOM, LUCOM, LECOM...but a lot will ride on the result of your new MCAT anyway, plus your app has not been verified either (prob even after u get your new mcat score back), so I say to chill out until u see ur new mcat score because there is not too much hope with a 23 mcat (and cali resident)

4. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

You're dead at AZCOM...their minimum is 29. TUNCOM's avg is 28, so I am not sanguine of your chances there.

SOMA's avg is 27, so it's possible that you're in striking distance.

I cannot recommend that you retake unless you fit that test-taking deficit. How will you survive medical school, where we're addicted ot standardized tests? And COMLEX?????????

I have applied to the 3 free schools at ATSU SOMA, TUCOM-NV, AZCOM.

Where else do I have a shot with my records.

Also, if I do not get above 27, should I retake MCAT in January? Will I still be able to update the medschools with my MCAT score and stand in for this cycle?[/QUOTE]

studentp0x likes this.