Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to this forum, this will be my first post.

I'm a 3rd year student from Canada and I'm looking to apply to Dental schools in both the US and Canada. Here are my current results:

1st Year - 3.47
2nd Year - 3.69

Cumulative GPA - 3.58
Science GPA - 3.65

I am hoping that the upward trend in my GPA and the fact that my Science GPA is slightly higher than my overall GPA will have some influence on my overall application.

I plan on taking the Canadian DAT come February and the American DAT at the start of summer so that I have a chance to retake by the end of summer.

Do you guys have any tips for me on what I can do in the next year (or two) to boost my application?

Thank you guys in advance!

Weakfart

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
Buffalo
Status
Pre-Dental
Considering you have no GPA from this year, no DAT no mention of you ECs, we have no idea. But since you are currently the most successful football player in the world, you probably can get in somewhere.

Macabalony

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
WOW. You have a really competitive GPA and a great decision to take both versions of the DAT.

To help boost your application is to get those shadowing hours at dental clinics. Also focus on general volunteer hours. Good luck friend.

OP
Leo Messi
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Considering you have no GPA from this year, no DAT no mention of you ECs, we have no idea. But since you are currently the most successful football player in the world, you probably can get in somewhere.
Ah sorry, I forgot to mention EC's. I have worked in a Genetics/Molecular Biology lab (I'm not sure how much this will help to get into dentistry though), I just got onto the board of the student association in my faculty, and I will be working on my shadowing hours (I don't have very much as of right now).

As for the DAT, I have not written one yet, I definitely slacked off this summer, kicking myself for that! Hoping to be able to study a lot for it next semester as my course load is a lot lighter than this semester.

WOW. You have a really competitive GPA and a great decision to take both versions of the DAT.

To help boost your application is to get those shadowing hours at dental clinics. Also focus on general volunteer hours. Good luck friend.
Thank you very much! Do you think that it will be competitive enough considering that I am an international/out-of-state student though? It's just that there are so few seats allocated to out-of-state students and I'm kinda worried.

As for the hours, I'm starting to work on those. I've been super relaxed this last two years but I've gotta start getting all of them in!!

Macabalony

2+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Oh shoot international. That might create a snag or you might be more competitive in Canada. The fact that you know you are worried will make you a better applicant because you are aware of your downfalls. My advice will be to keep chugging along and destroy those last few science courses you have.

Get on those hours as soon as possible. One thing that will separate an applicant will be how many hours they spend in the dental clinic.