What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that someone else was looking for the "top" EM residency so I thought I should see what people think about my chances. I'm a med student at a certain med school with various extracurricular activities and I have grades and board scores. I also either do or don't have some related experience. My question is what my chances would be at each of the EM residency programs out there and if anyone thinks the PD would either or both give me extra credit for my good points and/or forgive my weak points. I'm particularly interested in some programs based either on their geographic location or thier perceived presteige. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

You dont even need to apply to know how good your chances are. In fact, speculating about your chances of landing a residency spot, combined with this forum, is the BEST way to determine the strength of your candidacy. From the info provided, looks like you will have a harder time landing a spot in the most competitive places, a slightly easier time in the middle of the pack, and a somewhat greater chance of landing a spot at less competitive programs. Keep in mind that even the less competitive places are still competitive, so you should probably speculate about how many places to apply to next.

LOL great thread.

Oh man, you're screwed. You will never match with stats like that. I'm aware of your certain medical school, but you will most defintely not be able to compete with graduates from the other certain medical school. Did you say you just have board scores? Well, they're not good enough - I know because I heard so. I think you had better work on your grades too. You will never get in the best program. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by NinerNiner999
Oh man, you're screwed. You will never match with stats like that. I'm aware of your certain medical school, but you will most defintely not be able to compete with graduates from the other certain medical school. Did you say you just have board scores? Well, they're not good enough - I know because I heard so. I think you had better work on your grades too. You will never get in the best program. ;)

Niner, you're wrong. He'll get in. It's a numbers game. All he has to do is apply to every program in the country, and rank at least 50 programs. I think then he has a fairly good chance.

:p

- H

Actually, I?m the expert here. You see, my friend?s sister?s husband?s psyciatrist had a dog whose vet had a son whose girlfriend applied in EM this past year with the EXACT same board scores. And I think that she had grades too, although I?m not exactly sure. But she went to your school and had the same extracurriculars (you MUST know her!) and either did or didn?t have any related experience as well.

Anyway, I heard that she applied to about 340 schools... she even applied to about 200 places that didn?t have EM programs in the hopes that they?d take her as their first intern. Well, it turns out that she got more than 3,346 interviews and didn?t even get the chance to go to half of them and ended up ranking three spots and matching at her sixth.

So you should just do what she did - you?ll be fine!!

Really, you started this process too late to even have a hope of matching at any "respectable" EM program. What you should have done is looked at the forum 9-10 years ago and asked "What kind of SAT scores do I need to get into one of the top EM programs?"

Well, when I read the title of your thread I was about to blast you for repeating a common theme around here, but you present some interesting new circumstances. I recommend that you call the PD daily to remind him of your interest in the program - this is a trick that will always win the respect of a program and a sure-fire match.

Honestly, most have told me it's more than just numbers for EM. Thus, for others to better evaluate and speculate for you, you need to post your letter of recs, evals, transcript, name, race, personality/physical traits, social security number, credit card number, and hobbies. Do you have a certain of these, or not? Do you have a certain hobby (PDs need to know you can have fun), or credit card number (you can balance your finances to endure their low paying residency), because lack of these could be detrimental to landing your certain top choice.

Screw those stats. The real number is how much you can bench. Thats what got me in. And if you are a female, I'm gonna need to know your dimensions. You can send it to me with a corresponding head shot. I promise to be fair and impartial.

With that application, I think you are way too competitive for EM. You should go for Derm, easy-peasy for you to match into.

Q, DO

Hey NinerNiner999,
You ain't no stinkin' INTERN!!! You're a STUDENT until you graduate and START your internship in July!!! We're all excited for you matching at JHU but c'mon... Easy big fella...
Astro

Originally posted by aliraja
... my friend?s sister?s husband?s psyciatrist had a dog whose vet had a son whose girlfriend ...

I know her.

She got in cuz she's cute.

Cuteness counts now?

What about 'unconventionally handsome' bald guys? Should I look into yoga, Pilates, and cosmetic surgery to increase my chances?

Originally posted by Febrifuge
Cuteness counts now?

What about 'unconventionally handsome' bald guys? Should I look into yoga, Pilates, and cosmetic surgery to increase my chances?

I would.

Cuteness counts now?

"For lack of a better term, they've labeled me a sex symbol. It's flattering and it should happen to every bald, overweight guy."

Dennis Franz ("Andy Sipowicz" of NYPD Blue)

Let's not get crazy here. I'm 5 foot 8, and I just went over 160 pounds for the first time in my life. My BMI puts me in the okay-to-decent range.

But I'm damn sure not one of the tall, thin, athletic dudes with perfect teeth and a full head of hair I see all over the hospital.

Sometimes I hates them guys...

Wasn't there a study that strongly correlated physical attractiveness to success in academics and med school? I seem to recall evidence that someone concluded showed that: a) attractive people are given more and better opportunities, and/or b) attractive people somehow gain the ability to capitalize on more and better opportunities.

The book to which you are referring is "Mean Genes." Apparently, whether fat is revered or not is cultural dependent. However, symmetry is always correlated with physical attractiveness. The more symmetric one is, the more one is attractive, successful (not 'necessarily' in academics but in life), and having pretty hoes all around them. They said good genes contribute to developmental success physically and mentally. Bill Clinton supposively was found to be highly symmetric.

I tend to disagree. I am one of those guys all over the hospital to which you are referring, have straight teeth, full set of hair, and old women just love me. I'm pretty young, so their perception of cute may be a bit different. Anyway, it hasnt helped me with academics at all. Success...well, maybe I can say something about that in 30 yrs, but with Bush's and Arnold's recent decrease in educational funding, I'm sure I'll be declaring bankruptcy in no time.

Let's not get crazy here. I'm 5 foot 8, and I just went over 160 pounds for the first time in my life. My BMI puts me in the okay-to-decent range.

But I'm damn sure not one of the tall, thin, athletic dudes with perfect teeth and a full head of hair I see all over the hospital.

Sometimes I hates them guys...

Wasn't there a study that strongly correlated physical attractiveness to success in academics and med school? I seem to recall evidence that someone concluded showed that: a) attractive people are given more and better opportunities, and/or b) attractive people somehow gain the ability to capitalize on more and better opportunities.

"What are my chances?"

Not good. I give you one month to live, two tops.

JPHazelton-

Did your first year lab anatomy partner REALLY?! say that?