Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Kap793, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Kap793

Kap793 New Member

I have a 3.08 science GPA, a 3.38 overall GPA, and a 28 M on the MCAT.

Other info: I have my name on 1 publication (primary author), spent a semester as a Zen monk in Japan, graduated with honors in Philosophy and a minor in Bio, and have been a volunteer firefighter for 3 years. I am 23. There are no state DO schools where I'm from, but I do live in New England. I feel that if I land an interview anywhere, I'll be golden. So what are the odds?

P.S. I'll probably be taking Biochem this summer, when the applications are in the mail and doing volunteer research/shadowing.

Thanks for your responses!

2. doc3341

doc3341 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think it sounds promising. your EC's are pretty amazing. Best of luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. YoungFaithful

YoungFaithful Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You're in like tin.

:thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DNA-RL

DNA-RL Member
    5+ Year Member

I think you're a strong applicant, your mcat looks great, you have very outstanding ECs, I don't think there'll be many schools that won't accept you. But just don't be overconfident, try to do some shadowing, take your time on the personal statement but apply early, try to get some good LORs, and hopefully you'll be getting some good news in the mail some time soon. Best of luck!

5. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You gotta get a DO letter... best to try for an alum from the school you're really looking at... ok I lied, you don't HAVE to get a DO letter for most schools, but it REALLY REALLY helps... good luck.

6. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    a side note....I had some kickin DO letters and I think this helped more than I could imagine. I thought I was going to be having some serious issues getting one but after shadowing a few I ended up with two awesome ones.

7. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

8. womyn

womyn CCOM-Class of 2008

just be persistent. don't give up. you'll get in. :thumbup:

9. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Im in the same boat, as you, almost exact same stats, different EC's

People say Im fine for DO schools, so, I assume you would be too.

Fortunately for me, some of my bad undergrad science class grades are offset by A) retakes of the class and B) my 12 in the bio section of the MCAT.

What was your breakdown?

Adrian

10. Kap793

Kap793 New Member

Adrian,
    I'd say it was getting C+'s in my first year chem & bio classes. I also garnered B's in physics.

I retook chem 1, got an A. Have an A-/B+ in Orgo, and got an A- in my neurophys. class last semester, B+ in ecology. I do go to a pretty tough school though, Colgate. Did you mean MCAT? It was Bio 8 and 10 in the others.

It's nice to hear that somebody else is on the same sort of track. What are your top choices early on? I really like what I've heard about UNECOM, with PCOM and KCOM close by. Realistically, though, I'd be ecstatic with just 1 acceptance...

Don't forget to enjoy the ride though ; )

11. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I meant MCAT :)

Top choice for DO is OU or PCOM, top choice for MD is U Cincinnati (doubtful).

I am applying to a bunch of MD as well as DO schools.

I just want to get in somewhere!

Adrian

12. doctordes

doctordes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You're a unique applicant and your EC's definitely stand out. As long as you don't develop schizophrenia during your med school interview, you're in there like swimwear.
    D:)

13. AspiringDoctor9

AspiringDoctor9 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hihi!

I totally wouldn't sweat getting in. My friend here in my university had a 3.3 GPA, 3.1 Science GPA, and a 28 MCAT - and he got into TUCOM, COMP, and he turned down an interview at AZCOM (they wanted him to interview during finals week and he said no way). Also, he only applied to 3 DO schools. If he can do it, you definately can! Does that help any? =)

14. Kap793

Kap793 New Member

You bet it does! Thanks!

15. southbelle

southbelle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

that's a package that's probably not going to get you interviews at MD schools, but if you shadow a DO and read up about their principles before your DO interviews you have a good shot at DO schools