DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjcha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a 2016 graduate and was looking at DO schools. My major was Exercise Science (5 years) and had a cGPA of 3.27 and sGPA of ~3.2. I am aware that this is low, but my GPA was about a 3.7 my last 2.5 years. I haven't taken the MCAT yet because I still need to take OChem, which I will be doing over the summer, starting next week. I am planning on taking Biochem I in the Fall as well. Realistically, I could probably raise my GPA to about a 3.3 if I get a 4.0 in these classes.

After I am finished with the OChem series, I plan on looking for a medical scribe position, while also shadowing a DO.

I was previously pre-PT, which is why you will see that I have PT experience.

ECs:

2 years: Young Generation Officer (Secretary) - Korean American Scientists and Engineers Association
1 year: Biomechanics TA
2 years: Secretary/Treasurer - Korean Student Association
1 year: Exercise Science Lab Assistant
2 years: English Tutor
3 years: Personal Assistant for a student with 3 traumatic brain injuries
1 year: Physical Therapy Aide (orthopedic outpatient clinic) ~1000 hours so far
1 year: Self-conducted research (Thesis: The effects of mild dehydration on muscular strength and tendon stiffness in college-aged students)
3 months: Physical Therapy intern (outpatient clinic)
1 day: Job shadow (PT) at The Ryan Center at Boston University

Please be as brutal and honest as you'd like. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you!

*******UPDATE:
I just finished an accelerated OChem series over the summer.
OChem I: A-
OChem II: B+
OChem II: A-

Unfortunately didn't get the 4.0 =(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your chances for DO school will depend on your MCAT. If you score 508 or higher you would be competitive for most schools. If you score at least 500 you would have a chance for some schools, mainly the newer ones. A GPA of 3.3 would be fine for the majority of DO schools assuming you do well on the MCAT.

Your chances for DO school will depend on your MCAT. If you score 508 or higher you would be competitive for most schools. If you score at least 500 you would have a chance for some schools, mainly the newer ones. A GPA of 3.3 would be fine for the majority of DO schools assuming you do well on the MCAT.

Thank you for your response. Do you think I would need more ECs (on top of my plan of shadowing a DO and becoming a scribe)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Faha, do well on the MCAT and you will have a chance at most DO schools due to your upward trend. Aim as high as you possibly can

Agree 100% with my learned colleague.

Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate your input!! :)