Medical What are my chances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an asian male in my early 30s and have been wanting to go to med school since in my mid 20s. I'm a Canadian citizen but got my bachelor's degree in Asia so that's gonna be an issue for most med schools here in NA. Question is, what are my chances in getting into a US/CA MD or DO school? Here's a short background about me:

* cGPA of 3.87
* Holds leadership roles at my local church for several years now
* Held a leadership role at a religious non-profit provincial organization
* Established my own online business since 2014
* Have not taken the MCAT yet

I know that I can get into a Caribbean med school too but if possible, that would be my very last resort. Any thoughts, please?

Thanks
Without an MCAT score, it's impossible to determine.

International candidates need to be superstars for US MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

You are aware that neither MD or DO med school application services accept international transcripts, right? Do you have any post-high school educational credits from US or Canadian institutions?

You don't mention any clinical experience or physician shadowing. You'll need those experiences to be competitive, as well as face-to-face service to those in need. Research is less important for nontraditional applicants. Your leadership roles will probably be helpful.

Have you looked into Irish or Australian med schools as an option?

Is your goal to practice medicine in the US? I'll agree with the other suggestions to look at your options outside the US. If you are a Canadian citizen, why don't you want to try for medical school in Canada? What is your employment background that you want to switch over to medicine now?

Status
Not open for further replies.