What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainguy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering what my chances are for any type of MD/PhD or MD program for that matter. I do fall in the low GPA range. My GPA is 3,4 with a 3.2 sGPA. My MCAT is 514. I graduated in 2018 and have 7 publications. Best one is Nature Communications (60 citations) and the rest in solid journals. I have been a research tech at MIT since graduating. I have 20+ peer reviewed abstracts and posters with a google patent on the way. Just curious what my chances are

Members don't see this ad.

Some people do a post-baccalaureate program to raise a low undergrad GPA. That may or may not be desirable to you, but it is something to consider, especially if your undergraduate major did not fulfill all required premed classes (although I am guessing it did since you have taken the MCAT). In terms of whether you have a chance, a good rule of thumb is to use the MSAR tool to review 10th and 90th percentile data for GPA and MCAT. Your extracurricular/research involvement is obviously very strong; if you are going to apply to medical programs, make sure you have at least some sort of clinical exposure or shadowing to corroborate that interest.

Best of luck with deciding whether to pursue this path.