What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godzillaM10

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m thinking about applying this cycle even though it’s a little late. But I just wanted to know what you all thought about my chances.
Date of submission: By end of September waiting on letter of recs
Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA:3.01
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:3.0
DAT score: 21 AA/ 23 TS/ 16 PAT
Gen chem: 24
Orgo: 22
Biology: 23
RC: 19
QR: 17
State of Residence: Florida
Undergrad Attended: University of Florida
Minority? Yes Mexican American
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? /No

Shadowing Experience: 100 hours general dentist
Volunteering Experience: I was involved in different organizations but these two have had the largest impact on me.
-Club organization focused on creating 3D printed prosthetics for kids with missing upper extremities
-Nonprofit organization focused on providing medical and educational aid to Syrian refugees locally and abroad.
Employment: 600 hours direct patient contact hours working as a certified nursing Assistant. I know this isn’t dentistry related but it’s actually the reason why I got interested in dentistry. Spending time assisting geriatric patients with daily functional activities was a humbling experience.
Research: None.
Other Extracurriculars:
-School soccer team
-leadership positions in various organizations
Relevant Honors or Awards: None.
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors but may be pretty standard.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list:
Kentucky
Washington
UNC
Buffalo
Touro
NYU
Tufts
BU
Maryland
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
Pacific
Nova
Rutgers
SIU
Louisville
Louisiana

In all honesty I am leaning towards retaking DAT and gaining more dental experience before applying. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reformat your thread as such so we know other things about your app, like your residency for example: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄

Biggest thing: what is your school list? I think you have a shot because your DAT is decent, but you have applying late, your sGPA and your 16 PAT working against you. It all comes down to the types of schools you're thinking about applying to.

Reactions: 1 users
Reformat your thread as such so we know other things about your app, like your residency for example: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄

Biggest thing: what is your school list? I think you have a shot because your DAT is decent, but you have applying late, your sGPA and your 16 PAT working against you. It all comes down to the types of schools you're thinking about applying to.
Hey thanks for replying I really appreciate it!! I have updated it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

Hopefully the end of the month is not counted as late :)

You have a 16 PAT and maybe this will matter to the DS or maybe it will not. Just check the general information they give about their DAT requirements.
Your TS and AA are strong though.

Why are you not applying to Florida or LECOM?

Also, how did you pick your school list? Washington, UCLA, and UCSF are not the most OOS friendly.
I also hope you have a spiritual leader to give you a rec to Loma Linda.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have pretty solid chance of getting in! Your DAT score is good and your extra curricular activities are pretty impressive. Your GPA might be a bit of a setback so you could consider doing an SMP or post bacc if you don't get in but overall I think you have good chance, good luck! :)