What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabrielamartinx94

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My name is Gabriela Martinez and I am a non-traditional applicant. I am 26 y/o and will be the first in my family to graduate from college (Spring 2022). I was planning on applying this cycle but I do not think my experience is broad enough. I am interested in applying to Virginia-Maryland (in-state), Illinois, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida. in Any help is appreciated!

Cumulative GPA: ~3.3 (currently, expect somewhat higher after these last couple semesters)
science GPA: ~3.6
last 45: ~3.5

Any degrees achieved: BS in Biology and Minor in Non Profit Studies (~Spring 2022)

GRE results: Not taken yet

Veterinary Experience:
- Vet Assistant at Small Animal practice (~9000 hrs)
- Vet Assistant at spay/neuter clinic in Haiti (~50 hrs, week trip)

Animal Experience:
- Animal Care Technician at Homeward Trails Animal Rescue (~830 hrs)
- Pet Sitter (~500 hrs)
- Zoo Keeper Aide at National Zoo in Washington DC (~340 hrs, stopped due to COVID-19)

Research Experience:
- Fruit Fly research project during undergrad (~80 hrs)

Extracurriculars:
- Outdoor activities
- Wildlife photography
- Softball

Employment:
- Hollin Hall Animal Hospital (5+ years, ongoing; worked during school, 7000+ hours)
- Homeward Trail Animal Shelter (800+ hours; worked during school)
- Retail associate (Sunglass Hut) - (600+ hours; worked during school)
- McLean Hardware Store ( 4,000+ hours; worked during school)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Gabriela, your stats look pretty solid to me but I'm not confident enough to make any judgment on your competitiveness. I'd suggest keep working on your last 45 credit GPA since you still have plenty of time to improve on that. And one thing I learnt from my application is that if you have trouble getting vet experience in diverse fields, you can always diversify your experience within the SA field. I had 0 large animal or zoo animal experience, but my less than one year tech job at the ER of a referral specialty hospital really helped my application. I'm sure with your 9000hr GP experience and the extreme shortage of techs and assistants in ER across the country, you'd have no problem finding a part-time job in local ERs.

I am interested in applying to Virginia-Maryland (in-state), Illinois, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida.
When I was applying, LSU only interviewed the top 150 OOS applicants. If that still holds true, reconsider applying there as your GPAs will unfortunately not make that cut.

Texas A&M will be a similar situation. They have to accept a very high percentage of in state students due to Texas state law. Also reconsider applying to TAMU.

What is your strategy for applying to schools?

Reactions: 1 user
I would say same thing with University of Florida, I heard their GPA cutoff last year was a 3.5 cum.