Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

what are my chances

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by babeeteeth, Nov 26, 2005.

1. babeeteeth

babeeteeth Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have a 3.95 nonscience, 3.75 overall, and 3.5 science gpa. I was a dental assistant for over 7 months, so i have experience. But the breakdown of my Dat is bad: :( RC 16 QR 16 Sci avg 17 (chem=16 orgo=18 bio=17) overall 17 PAT 17. I applied in the beginning of august but i took the test in mid october. So far i haven't gotten any interviews. Please be honest.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Your GPA is excellent but I do think your DAT score is on the lower side. You may want to take it again and get at least 18's across the board.

4. hj714

hj714 Member
    5+ Year Member

Hello,

I think out of all tje schools, Penn seems to put more emphasis of GPA than DAT scores, so you might have a shot there. But perhaps if you take DAT again and then apply, you'll probably have a better chance at all school~

Don't lose hope, you can do it.

cheers

5. puncho

puncho Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey hj714, I'm just wondering when you sent in your stuff and got your BU interview invite. Thanks!

6. r0entgen

r0entgen Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

to be honest, the problem in your case is the fact that your dat scores are so low, it completely discounts the credibility of your high gpa. people who have a high gpa generally have a pretty decent dat score (because this test is pretty straightforward). therefore, a poor dat score will probably reflect the fact that your undergrad was not that competitive, and as a result, you were able to obtain a high gpa. so i do strongly suggest you retake the dat score. a high gpa is only reinforced with a high dat score.

7. geckel

geckel Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The DAT is also important b/c it shows that you can remember large amounts of info......a scenario that is important for your future boards.

8. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Depends on your designated schools. I think Howard's avg is 15 or 16. If you are a minority you may want to consider Howard and Meharry. If you are not a minority and you think you can't do better apply to Meharry and Howard. Also, you may have a good shot at any school that has an 18 avg. It's very risky but worth a try if improvement is impossible. Also, contact Indiana University and see what your chances are: phone = (317)-274-8173.

P.S. You should also try to retake the DAT. You have a very good GPA. If you do very well on the DAT you can go to a very good school.

9. pOiiMiiOq

pOiiMiiOq Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i think your GPA is AWESOME...but if your DAT may hurt you. It's on the lower side of most school's averages. But hopefully you applied to a school that weighs GPA more than DAT scores... since you took it in OcT., would you be able to re-take before december ends? If it's within 3 months (i think) you can re-take. MY ADVICE: pray...and hope your GPA shines beyond the DAT scores. :D

10. pOiiMiiOq

pOiiMiiOq Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i agree.

11. kiggar4l2000

kiggar4l2000 Member
    5+ Year Member

unless you went to good school to get those GPAs..i say not good. why dont u retake the test and let the admissions committee know? still i think it'd be better if you apply next year...that is if you applied late this year