what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babeeteeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.95 nonscience, 3.75 overall, and 3.5 science gpa. I was a dental assistant for over 7 months, so i have experience. But the breakdown of my Dat is bad: :( RC 16 QR 16 Sci avg 17 (chem=16 orgo=18 bio=17) overall 17 PAT 17. I applied in the beginning of august but i took the test in mid october. So far i haven't gotten any interviews. Please be honest.

Members don't see this ad.

babeeteeth said:
I have a 3.95 nonscience, 3.75 overall, and 3.5 science gpa. I was a dental assistant for over 7 months, so i have experience. But the breakdown of my Dat is bad: :( RC 16 QR 16 Sci avg 17 (chem=16 orgo=18 bio=17) overall 17 PAT 17. I applied in the beginning of august but i took the test in mid october. So far i haven't gotten any interviews. Please be honest.

Your GPA is excellent but I do think your DAT score is on the lower side. You may want to take it again and get at least 18's across the board.

Hello,

I think out of all tje schools, Penn seems to put more emphasis of GPA than DAT scores, so you might have a shot there. But perhaps if you take DAT again and then apply, you'll probably have a better chance at all school~

Don't lose hope, you can do it.

cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
hey hj714, I'm just wondering when you sent in your stuff and got your BU interview invite. Thanks!

babeeteeth said:

to be honest, the problem in your case is the fact that your dat scores are so low, it completely discounts the credibility of your high gpa. people who have a high gpa generally have a pretty decent dat score (because this test is pretty straightforward). therefore, a poor dat score will probably reflect the fact that your undergrad was not that competitive, and as a result, you were able to obtain a high gpa. so i do strongly suggest you retake the dat score. a high gpa is only reinforced with a high dat score.

The DAT is also important b/c it shows that you can remember large amounts of info......a scenario that is important for your future boards.

babeeteeth said:

Depends on your designated schools. I think Howard's avg is 15 or 16. If you are a minority you may want to consider Howard and Meharry. If you are not a minority and you think you can't do better apply to Meharry and Howard. Also, you may have a good shot at any school that has an 18 avg. It's very risky but worth a try if improvement is impossible. Also, contact Indiana University and see what your chances are: phone = (317)-274-8173.

P.S. You should also try to retake the DAT. You have a very good GPA. If you do very well on the DAT you can go to a very good school.

babeeteeth said:
i think your GPA is AWESOME...but if your DAT may hurt you. It's on the lower side of most school's averages. But hopefully you applied to a school that weighs GPA more than DAT scores... since you took it in OcT., would you be able to re-take before december ends? If it's within 3 months (i think) you can re-take. MY ADVICE: pray...and hope your GPA shines beyond the DAT scores. :D

r0entgen said:
to be honest, the problem in your case is the fact that your dat scores are so low, it completely discounts the credibility of your high gpa. people who have a high gpa generally have a pretty decent dat score (because this test is pretty straightforward). therefore, a poor dat score will probably reflect the fact that your undergrad was not that competitive, and as a result, you were able to obtain a high gpa. so i do strongly suggest you retake the dat score. a high gpa is only reinforced with a high dat score.
i agree.

babeeteeth said:

unless you went to good school to get those GPAs..i say not good. why dont u retake the test and let the admissions committee know? still i think it'd be better if you apply next year...that is if you applied late this year