What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentbruin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been a long time reader of these forums, but I have never posted anything. I've learned a lot from you guys, so thank you for that. After receiving my DAT scores, I wanted to ask what you guys thought about my chances for Dental School, particularly the California schools. Here are my stats:

4th year undergraduate @ UCLA
Overall GPA - 3.3
Science GPA - 3.1
Overall DAT - 20
Bio 19
Gchem 20
Ochem 19
Reading Comp 19
Math 24
PAT - 20

- 1 year of research
- completed UCLA predental volunteering program
- 2 years of leading a religious group on campus
- 4 years of leading a religious group at church
- completed a predental concepts course
- completed a predental denture course and received high score to get a letter of rec
- plan to shadow two dentists from now until dental school

I am going to be applying the next cycle, meaning June 2006. Hopefully I'll be sending my application as early as I can.

So what do you guys think? What are my chances for dental school. I especially want to go to to a school in california (UCLA, USC, UCSF, UOP, Loma Linda). Please let me know and let me know what I can do to strengthen my application if need be. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are average to just below average for CA schools, but you do have decent extracurriculars. You probably have an decent shot at LLU and USC, but UCLA, UCSF, and UOP would be harder. Its getting more and more competitive every year. You definitely need something to help make sure you stick out, whether it be improving your stats, or making yourself known to the schools and that you have a genuine interest in their programs.

predentbruin said:
Hello all,

I have been a long time reader of these forums, but I have never posted anything. I've learned a lot from you guys, so thank you for that. After receiving my DAT scores, I wanted to ask what you guys thought about my chances for Dental School, particularly the California schools. Here are my stats:

Overall GPA - 3.3
Science GPA - 3.1
Overall DAT - 20
Bio 19
Gchem 20
Ochem 19
Reading Comp 19
Math 24
PAT - 20

- 1 year of research
- completed a predental denture course and received high score to get a letter of rec

I am going to be applying the next cycle, meaning June 2006. Hopefully I'll be sending my application as early as I can.

So what do you guys think? What are my chances for dental school. I especially want to go to to a school in california (UCLA, USC, UCSF, UOP, Loma Linda). Please let me know and let me know what I can do to strengthen my application if need be. Thanks!

1. Get to know someone in admissions. Make friends and network.

2. Take any classes now that you haven't taken that are a part of first year curriculum. for example take biochem if you've haven't already.

3. Show a committment to the general public of the state of CA. Remember state schools are taxpayer subsidized. You've got to show you care about the people who are helping pay your tuition. Those are the average people who pay taxes to help you go to school on the cheap. Admissions committees love this stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
predentbruin said:
Hello all,

Overall GPA - 3.3
Science GPA - 3.1
Overall DAT - 20
Bio 19
Gchem 20
Ochem 19
Reading Comp 19
Math 24
PAT - 20

- 1 year of research

I am not from CA, however, I interned there and applied to UCLA and USC but withdrew after being accepted. I don't really know what all is intalled in "- completed UCLA predental volunteering program" but I would say that you might want to focus on interning with more than just two different dentists. Most schools will recommend getting between 80 and 100 from at least 5 different dentists. I would try and go above and beyond that. Personally, I got around 140 between multiple dentists in 3 different states. The reason I bring this up is because most schools said that I did an excellent job of exploring the field. I know it sounds like I am just bragging, but I can really only use my own personal experiences to help. As big as Cali. is, try shadowing different dentist for like 3-5 days a piece and pick dentists in different areas. Try LA, SF, SD, and maybe some other places. I do not know CA that well but I would really try to really broaden you horizons. Also, your DAT scores are pretty good on average; however, CA is extremely competitive. So, you might consider taking the test over again. Having already taken it, you might not be as nervous and you might be more comfortable in general and you should have a good chance of doing even better.

predentbruin said:
Hello all,

Overall GPA - 3.3
Science GPA - 3.1
Overall DAT - 20
Bio 19
Gchem 20
Ochem 19
Reading Comp 19
Math 24
PAT - 20

- 1 year of research

i graduated from ucla in 2005. your best shot is probably at uop or llu. uop is known to take students with low gpa and decent dat. ucla, usc, ucsf might be a little tough, unless you have some publications, which may help you.