What Are My Chances?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSUforever

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I finally submit my application, I would like some opinions on my chances of acceptance for the 2007 cycle. I'm going to list everything I've done throughout college. First of all, I did not do well on the DAT scoring only a 17 AA and 16 PAT so I will be retaking it the first weekend in October. My overall gpa is a 3.87 and science gpa is 3.75. I have between 40-50 hours of straight observing. I am spending my summer volunteering in a dental clinic - cleaning up after the dentist is finished, preparing for the next patient, and sterilizing instruments. Beginning in late August, I will be trained by another dental clinic at school to assist. My uncle and cousin both attended the same dental school to which I will be applying (a certain school in the Philadelphia area and my number one choice). Lots of honor societies -Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Epsilon Delta, Mortar Board (social chair), Phi Kappa Phi. Pre-Dent Society. Chem group leader. Tutor. Red Cross club -active member. Nittany Knitters. One year of research. I am applying to BU, Tufts, Case, Howard, NYU, Buffalo, Maryland, UMDNJ, PITT, VCU, Penn, TEMPLE. So, let me have it. What are my chances?! :)

Members don't see this ad.

PSUforever said:
Before I finally submit my application, I would like some opinions on my chances of acceptance for the 2007 cycle. I'm going to list everything I've done throughout college. First of all, I did not do well on the DAT scoring only a 17 AA and 16 PAT so I will be retaking it the first weekend in October. My overall gpa is a 3.87 and science gpa is 3.75. I have between 40-50 hours of straight observing. I am spending my summer volunteering in a dental clinic - cleaning up after the dentist is finished, preparing for the next patient, and sterilizing instruments. Beginning in late August, I will be trained by another dental clinic at school to assist. My uncle and cousin both attended the same dental school to which I will be applying (a certain school in the Philadelphia area and my number one choice). Lots of honor societies -Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Epsilon Delta, Mortar Board (social chair), Phi Kappa Phi. Pre-Dent Society. Chem group leader. Tutor. Red Cross club -active member. Nittany Knitters. One year of research. I am applying to BU, Tufts, Case, Howard, NYU, Buffalo, Maryland, UMDNJ, PITT, VCU, Penn, TEMPLE. So, let me have it. What are my chances?! :)

dude, are you serious? your chances are great. once you get those test scores up you are the perfect applicant. why in the world do you need us to tell you that?

WS :)

whiskeysour said:
dude, are you serious? your chances are great. once you get those test scores up you are the perfect applicant. why in the world do you need us to tell you that?

WS :)

I guess I'm just not overly confident about getting in because of my low scores. Retaking them in October may not get me an interview until the spring. :( Hehe, by the way, I'm not a dude.

Dudette!

Your GPA totally sucks. You obviously didn't do very much in college because it looks like you didn't try to do any extra things besides school. You are not applying to enough schools to be competitive either. And, you don't seem to have any interest in looking at what clinical dentists actually do on a day in day out level. Surely you can't seriously think you'd be a good applicant to any school.

Now just reverse everything I just said and you'll have my assessment of you.

Seriously, just retake the DAT and do well. Continue with your plans to get more training at the end of summer cause that's great. Even if you don't retake until October, that's fine...schools continue to look and interview and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. I had a friend who didn't take the DAT until January and still got into a very competitive school, I'm sure you will do fine.