lindseyg

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
5
0
Status
I am a 3rd year osteopathic medical student looking to go into a "good" program for pediatrics. My story is below:

USMLE Step 1--216/88
GPA--3.5
Research experience--a lot (author on 3 papers, first author on 1)
Letters of rec--should be great

Do I have a shot at a top 10 residency? I realize that CHOP and Boston may be out of the picture, but what about the rest?
 

ndspider

Lurk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2003
162
0
39
Status
Attending Physician
lindseyg said:
I am a 3rd year osteopathic medical student looking to go into a "good" program for pediatrics. My story is below:

USMLE Step 1--216/88
GPA--3.5
Research experience--a lot (author on 3 papers, first author on 1)
Letters of rec--should be great

Do I have a shot at a top 10 residency? I realize that CHOP and Boston may be out of the picture, but what about the rest?
Are you good looking?
 
About the Ads

ndspider

Lurk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2003
162
0
39
Status
Attending Physician
then you will be fine.
 
OP
L

lindseyg

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
5
0
Status
ndspider said:
then you will be fine.
Thank you for your outstanding insight. Does anyone else have any objective, USEFUL feedback???
 

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2002
6,011
890
Status
Attending Physician
lindseyg said:
Thank you for your outstanding insight. Does anyone else have any objective, USEFUL feedback???
Well, I can't say if it will be useful, but I can comment :). As always my disclaimer is that I am NOT, nor have I ever been, on a residency or fellowship selection committee.

First, your letters of rec will largely depend on your rotations, especially sub-I and electives which I don't think you've done yet. So, focusing on these are the key. If these are outstanding you will certainly have the opportunity of getting a residency in a well-regarded academic program, regardless of your Step 1 score. Research experience is nice and may help, but a lot depends on how relevant it is to what you are planning on doing.

Second, to obtain an excellent academic fellowship does not require a "Top 10" residency or even a top 20 or top 50 residency, whatever that means. Focus on finding the place that fits you best and doing well there. Most of our fellows from outside our own program do not come from the Top 10 programs rated by whoever makes those ratings.

Regards

OBP
 

TexasRose

Gotta run
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2002
10,905
12
where else?
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
oldbearprofessor said:
Well, I can't say if it will be useful, but I can comment :). As always my disclaimer is that I am NOT, nor have I ever been, on a residency or fellowship selection committee.

First, your letters of rec will largely depend on your rotations, especially sub-I and electives which I don't think you've done yet. So, focusing on these are the key. If these are outstanding you will certainly have the opportunity of getting a residency in a well-regarded academic program, regardless of your Step 1 score. Research experience is nice and may help, but a lot depends on how relevant it is to what you are planning on doing.

Second, to obtain an excellent academic fellowship does not require a "Top 10" residency or even a top 20 or top 50 residency, whatever that means. Focus on finding the place that fits you best and doing well there. Most of our fellows from outside our own program do not come from the Top 10 programs rated by whoever makes those ratings.

Regards

OBP
How can we continue to propogate myths and feed our insecurities with reasonable posts like this going around?


;)
 

14022

Unregistered Abuser
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
665
7
Visit site
Status
There are tons of great programs, especially in the south and midwest, that would love to have someone like you and at where youw will likely do very well. Remember, you may not even like CHOP and BRCP even if you do get an interview, which isnt unreasonable, especially at CHOP. So apply with confidence!

And OPB is definately correct. Fellowships in peds are pretty much wide open and great fellowship programs, even in competitive specialties (eg, cards at Boston Children's and Michigan this year) go unfilled every year.
 
OP
L

lindseyg

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
5
0
Status
Thank you for all of the great responses!

I am interested in pediatric oncolongy and did an internship last summer at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. I actually leave tomorrow to do a 3 month elective rotation there as well...very excited to go back!!

Thanks again for the insight, and I will try to keep my mind open as I go through this process. Thanks again!
 
About the Ads