What are my chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulod07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the oat and got a 330 TA and a 350 TS. I did horrible in the reading part but i did awesome in the physics. I was wondering what are my chances of getting into ICO or any other optometry schools by the way my gpa is 3.00. Also do they look at individual scores of each part of the test or the test as the whole because again i did horrible in the reading part

Members don't see this ad.

hopefulod07 said:
Just took the oat and got a 330 TA and a 350 TS. I did horrible in the reading part but i did awesome in the physics. I was wondering what are my chances of getting into ICO or any other optometry schools by the way my gpa is 3.00. Also do they look at individual scores of each part of the test or the test as the whole because again i did horrible in the reading part

Why do you want to go to optometry school? Optometry is a profession that is slowly dying due to over-saturation of O.D.'s, which will only get worse in the future. You'll be lucky to get a job (that pays 1/2 of the starting salary of dentists or pharmacists) by the time you graduate. There is no future in optometry. Apply to dental or pharmacy school.

jlc111 said:
Why do you want to go to optometry school? Optometry is a profession that is slowly dying due to over-saturation of O.D.'s, which will only get worse in the future. You'll be lucky to get a job (that pays 1/2 of the starting salary of dentists or pharmacists) by the time you graduate. There is no future in optometry. Apply to dental or pharmacy school.

Sigh... If you don't have anything useful to add to the OPs question then why bother. There's enough of these "over-saturation" threads on this board. Move on and post in there. Are you going to reply to every pre-optometry thread with the same message?

Anyway, hopefulod07, I wouldn't worry. If you have a chance to retake then do it, if not, make sure other parts of your application are solid. I'm sure the schools will look at the breakdown of scores but it's hard to say if this will prove to be a determining factor for your application. Good luck with your applications and interviews, and if optometry is something you want to do, then go out there and do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefulod07 said:

you are fine, just apply to a couple schools rather then the one or two that you really want to go to, just in case. if possible raise your gpa as well shadow/visit some optometrists if you havent already. finally, stay involved in your clubs and in your community and you should have a well rounded application that will allow you to attend a school you like.

dont worry about crazy posters that spell doom and gloom. If that were really the case and they really care about optometry they will spend thier time fighting for changes in the AOA or at least offering helpful advice instead of just coming in here and spewing all kinds of doomsday scenarios. More likely these people just love to complain and seek attention via complaining. these people spend too much time trying to scare everyone. And if you do shadow you will see that most optometrist are very happy with thier work and are optomistic about the future. Following the above poster's advice I have talked to many new graduates and "younger" optometrist and i have yet to find one that is anywhere near as negative as the ones i find here. Many have succesfully bought into practices while others have managed to buy BMWs :laugh:
That is what i get when i visit optometrists, when i want to hear random nonesense and disaster scenarios, i come here!

while pharmacy and dentistry is doing very well right now, like the stock market, it is not a gurantee. If you do what you enjoy then you shoudl weather any storm.

Misery loves company and it looks like SDN has attracted the best of them

good hopeful post - still confused:)

hopefulod07 said:

I got a 270 on QR, with a 330 AA and 350 TS also, but I still got into three schools. So basically one low score in a single section shouldn't be the deciding factor on your application. And a 3.00 GPA isn't unheard of either. Hopefully you have some good extracurriculars to make your application look better too?

which 3 schools did u get into?

which 3 schools did u get into?

I'm guessing you're asking me right? I applied to four schools; I got into SUNY, Berkeley, and SCCO...these were also the only schools I interviewed for. I also was invited for an interview at NOVA but declined it.

Hello, Since you already got into optometry schools i was wondering if you heard of anyone getting in having W's on their transcript, i have them for 3 semesters straight becasue of a family situation. Since then i have great grades and a lot of shadowing and work experience with an optometrist. Do you think its worth it for me to apply.?

Thanks for the advice

Julie

Hello, Since you already got into optometry schools i was wondering if you heard of anyone getting in having W's on their transcript, i have them for 3 semesters straight becasue of a family situation. Since then i have great grades and a lot of shadowing and work experience with an optometrist. Do you think its worth it for me to apply.?

Thanks for the advice

Julie

I have not gotten into optometry schools yet!...but just wanted to tell you this anyway...

I honestly do not think they are going to sit there and count your W's...have strong OAT scores, great L.O.R's, strong personal statement...and you could get an interview...there, they might ask you about the W's...having family problems sounds like a valid excuse...howevere, you should assure them that the problems are over and you have been doing great eversince...

also, you might want to call a couple of the schools and just ask...THAT WOULD BE THE BEST THING TO DO!!!:idea:

also, it all depends when you had those W'S...WERE THEY ALL IN THE PAST YEAR? or that was 3 years ago and you have 2-3 years of great grades following the w's?:confused:

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS APPLY ANYWAY...its your future...forget about the application fees and just apply...i am sure if you have other great things in your application, you will get interviews...GOOD luCK!

I have not gotten into optometry schools yet!...but just wanted to tell you this anyway...

I honestly do not think they are going to sit there and count your W's...have strong OAT scores, great L.O.R's, strong personal statement...and you could get an interview...there, they might ask you about the W's...having family problems sounds like a valid excuse...howevere, you should assure them that the problems are over and you have been doing great eversince...

also, you might want to call a couple of the schools and just ask...THAT WOULD BE THE BEST THING TO DO!!!:idea:

also, it all depends when you had those W'S...WERE THEY ALL IN THE PAST YEAR? or that was 3 years ago and you have 2-3 years of great grades following the w's?:confused:

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS APPLY ANYWAY...its your future...forget about the application fees and just apply...i am sure if you have other great things in your application, you will get interviews...GOOD luCK!

Thanks so much for the reassurance, i dont care about the money, i'm applying to 8 schools, and i hope to get an interview and get a chance to explain myself. I guess youre right, if i have good grades now they might not care about the w's. As far as you not having gotten into school yet, i wish you lots of luck with that! I hope you get into your school of choice =)

Thanks for the advice

Julie

I agree with eye2eye - you should always apply anyway because even if you don't get into a school this year, you can always re-apply. Given that they work hard and make good use of their off-time, re-applicants have an improved chance of getting in since re-applying takes a lot and it shows a lot of dedication to getting into optometry school.

Good luck with apps!!!