1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by adpimango, Mar 8, 2007.

1. adpimango

Ok so I'm at the essentially at the latter half of my 3rd year and I need to start thinking about residency and all that jazz...now I'm basically an average student with a 3.1 GPA, mid to upper 190s' on Step 1, high passes on all my clinicals and yet to take step 2... what kind of Peds programs do I realistically have a chance of getting into? clearly not top 10 places... any suggestions on places i should look into/do my outta-towns at?

2. Pedialyte

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You might be surprised where you can interview with those scores. I wouldn't rule out some of the top ten (although probably that would be tough for like CHOP and Boston Children's). Honestly, I wasn't batting with scores that were super high either, and I had, like a few Honors (we don't have High Pass) in my rotations, but that was it. Other than CHOP and Boston, I got interview offers at a lot of programs I didn't expect (like top ten). Think about WHERE you want to be and apply a lot in that area. Then you can toss in top tens in random locations and other fun towns/cities. Also, I over-applied (because I didn't have a good grip on my 'candidacy' and I don't regret it). Meet with a peds advisor, or your clerkship director. Ask them about specific programs, and they can tell you if they are super selective, normal, or less competitive. Apply to some of each and you'll be fine!

3. OP
    OP
    adpimango

Thank you so much for your input Pedialyte! I feel a lot better. I wasn't planning on CHOP or Boston, but maybe Texas Children's, or Seattle?

4. chhsu

chhsu New Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you'll be fine. Plus, as for getting an interview at top peds programs, you never know until you try.