what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIpharmstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored 79 composite on pcat
overall gpa 3.12
science gpa 3.14
math gpa 3.03
gpa at current school where most my credits were taken is 3.3 according to pharmcas. I will have a B.S. in biology at end of winter semester 2008.
I applied to pacific, virginia commonwealth, and univ of georgia this year and wasnt accepted to any. I plan on applying to more schools next year (10?) and in state schools. I have volunteered for over a year in the inpatient pharmacy of a hospital, but have no other extracurriculars because I also work 30 hrs a week. do i even have a good chance of getting in somewhere, anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should retake the PCAT and try to get at least 85 composite. At least, do really well in the math, biology, and chemistry sections. Try to write a killer personal statement also.

has your GPA been consistenly at ~3.10-ish? or did you screw up really bad the first few years of college then finally got straight As and therefore turned your GPA around to 3.12? If you have been getting high grades and it shows a trend then yes you will have a high chance. Also, if you have a low GPA because you took excessive units and your GPA can't move, then the adcom may consider that. Either way, I say just retake as many classes as you can. Retake the ones you got Cs in.

Members don't see this ad :)
i really think you can get in if you keep trying and research more schools. i know for sure that UGA's standards are really high, but if you really want to go there the best thing to do is to raise your PCAT score. their avg. PCAT scores last year was around 93. find out some info on schools that have recently opened. Also, i think there's actually a thread about ppl getting into pharmacy schools without really high stats. maybe you should check it out and apply to the schools they got into.

yeah my first couple years at comm college my gpa was 2.9 and over my last four semesters it has been 3.6 or higher which brought my gpa up from 3.18 to 3.41 at my current school which i have almost 130 credits at, i took 2 years off to decide what i wanted to do, changed majors.. last semester i had a 3.6 and my gpa didnt move at all from 3.41. I only have 2 c's a 2.1 and a 2.5, the 2.5 was in linear algebra, my previous major was mech. engineering, I guess i wil just have to keep getting high grades and score higher on the pcat. thanks for the input.

sounds like you have a lot of As in prereqs. if the Cs are in prep classes then it shouldn't matter. I think you have a very good chance if you have been getting 3.6s then that is awsome.

yeah my first couple years at comm college my gpa was 2.9 and over my last four semesters it has been 3.6 or higher which brought my gpa up from 3.18 to 3.41 at my current school which i have almost 130 credits at, i took 2 years off to decide what i wanted to do, changed majors.. last semester i had a 3.6 and my gpa didnt move at all from 3.41. I only have 2 c's a 2.1 and a 2.5, the 2.5 was in linear algebra, my previous major was mech. engineering, I guess i wil just have to keep getting high grades and score higher on the pcat. thanks for the input.

Given this background I'd say your chances are fair/good. Not excellent, but not poor either. School selection will play a big role. Definitely work on the stats, specifically science and cum GPA, math GPA is fine where it is I'd say. Not versed enough in PCAT to give advice one way or the other. I applied to four schools that didn't require it.