What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icefish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to be my second time applying, and I can't afford a third. I did not do to good in my undergrad (2.9 GPA 2.8 sGPA), however got a 21 TS on the DAT all above 21 except for QR 18. This did not get me in. So I decided to pursue a Masters. I currently have a 4.0 and completed the first year. I have over 300 hours assisting, and am currently working as a dental technician with over 400 hours under my belt. Do you think I should get my application out for the 09 class although I have one more year left on my masters? Also, I know this is in other posts, but should I or should I not re write my essay? One last question, I may take a summer course to make up for AP credit to get the grade, so should I wait till I finish this class to submit my app? PLEASE HELP

Members don't see this ad.

i think you chances should be pretty good. make sure to apply to a good amount of schools.

i personally wouldn't rewrite the essay. i would add stuff to the essay if i had something good to add. but, i don't know if i would want to rewrite the whole essay.

in general, i always say apply and get everything in as early as possible. however, if you can get the transcripts in around early june, then i think it might be worth the wait.

This is going to be my second time applying, and I can't afford a third. I did not do to good in my undergrad (2.9 GPA 2.8 sGPA), however got a 21 TS on the DAT all above 21 except for QR 18. This did not get me in. So I decided to pursue a Masters. I currently have a 4.0 and completed the first year. I have over 300 hours assisting, and am currently working as a dental technician with over 400 hours under my belt. Do you think I should get my application out for the 09 class although I have one more year left on my masters? Also, I know this is in other posts, but should I or should I not re write my essay? One last question, I may take a summer course to make up for AP credit to get the grade, so should I wait till I finish this class to submit my app? PLEASE HELP

I'd be shocked if you don't get in.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the 4.0 in your masters, the 21 DAT, and the solid ECs should get you some interviews.
Apply now... You've got a good trend going with your masters....so keep it up. By the time interviews roll around, you can tell them how you are still doing well in all your classes....and send in updated transcripts after fall semester.
As for the essay.... I would include something about how you are working really hard to make up for your undergrad and how you're overcoming adversity and persuing a masters and all that.
I dont think one course will make that much of a difference on your app. I would say to apply as soon as you can rather than wait for one class.
You're on the right track.

Just show that you improved with your masters and all of your ECs. I would rewrite my essay though.

as a reapplicant, I'd really suggest re-writing your essay. Make it completely different. At my interviews this year, most of my interviewers had read both my essays and they were able to talk to me about two completely different parts of my life (family and my job). And also, I don't think it would have looked too good if I had had the same or a similar letter-- it might have looked like I was lazy.

thanks guys for the response, I definitely think I am going to re write my essay. Seems like an integral part to show my major improvement as an applicant, however should I really not include anything I mentioned in my first essay? I felt like it contained some good points of my character and desire to pursue dentistry?