What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

playa2652

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am trying to get into CA dental schools, specifically UoP or Loma Linda, but I have also applied to all the other CA dental schools plus a good amount of east coast schools. I have a 3.36 overall gpa, BCP 3.37. I have assisted in design, development, & maintenance of a dental project with the UoP dental school and researched background info on microbial setup to promote caries susceptibility. For my 6 months internship with the American Dental Association, I designed, developed, & maintained testing equipment for dental products. My overall research & work to be published in scientific journal once complete and I am going to be a co-author. I have done dental shadowing observed over 200 hours of various dental procedures (includes root canals, dental implantation, fillings) and assisted resident dentists with charting dental information. I also am in a club that promotes teaching elementary school children how to properly maintain oral hygiene. I am in a Biological Honors Society, which has several community service projects each year. I am in the school's pre-dent club and I was also the treasurer of my social fraternity.

My DAT scores are: PAT 22, QR 16, RC 19, Bio 19, GC 23, OC 22, TS 21, AA 20.

I've been worrying about my QR score, but my overall app should be relatively good. For the past three semesters, I have not gotten lower than a 3.7 gpa. My major is bioengineering, and I did not do so well my freshman and sophomore year. I had to retake Calc II once (C- first time, solid A the second time). Do i have to worry about anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Just apply. I think you have a good shot. Throw yourself at the mercy of the admissions committees of the schools.
Things that are going for you:
Strong DAT scores(just one 16 isn't going to kill you)
Improving GPA trend.
Strong dental experience.

Things going against you:
Lower overall GPA(not that much low but it depends on the school)
Early blemishes in your record. (Wouldn't worry about this, what is done is done and you have done better since)

Don't worry about retakes. You only had one. If the overall picture that you present is of a good strong candidate, which seems you are, they will cut you some slack. They are not looking for perfect individuals.

Hi. I am trying to get into CA dental schools, specifically UoP or Loma Linda, but I have also applied to all the other CA dental schools plus a good amount of east coast schools. I have a 3.36 overall gpa, BCP 3.37. I have assisted in design, development, & maintenance of a dental project with the UoP dental school and researched background info on microbial setup to promote caries susceptibility. For my 6 months internship with the American Dental Association, I designed, developed, & maintained testing equipment for dental products. My overall research & work to be published in scientific journal once complete and I am going to be a co-author. I have done dental shadowing observed over 200 hours of various dental procedures (includes root canals, dental implantation, fillings) and assisted resident dentists with charting dental information. I also am in a club that promotes teaching elementary school children how to properly maintain oral hygiene. I am in a Biological Honors Society, which has several community service projects each year. I am in the school's pre-dent club and I was also the treasurer of my social fraternity.

My DAT scores are: PAT 22, QR 16, RC 19, Bio 19, GC 23, OC 22, TS 21, AA 20.

I've been worrying about my QR score, but my overall app should be relatively good. For the past three semesters, I have not gotten lower than a 3.7 gpa. My major is bioengineering, and I did not do so well my freshman and sophomore year. I had to retake Calc II once (C- first time, solid A the second time). Do i have to worry about anything?

I think you have a decent shot at getting into some school - but it might not be CA schools, however. Both UCLA and UCSF are pretty darn competitive even for CA residents, and LLU targets a pretty specific group of predents.

I've been worrying about my QR score, but my overall app should be relatively good.

I know people who have been accepted with lower QR in the past year. Not that that is the normal way, but it's possible. I wouldn't count on it, however, if you can improve that QR. Many schools will take the highest score of each section of the DAT each time you take it.