what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bevo123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are not very great and I'm feeling a bit discouraged. OAT score 290, gpa: 3.2. Not to mention, applying late...:(

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email from MCPHS or whatever its called, that new school in NE, that basically begged me to apply and offered me $5000 so I'd say you'd get in there. (this was last week)

Yea, you'll get in somewhere. If you'll find a job afterwards...well that's a different story.

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are not very great and I'm feeling a bit discouraged. OAT score 290, gpa: 3.2. Not to mention, applying late...:(

Try IAUPR, RSO, MCPHS, and Western. Also midwestern univ. PCO is lenient too and forgiving

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I got an email from MCPHS or whatever its called, that new school in NE, that basically begged me to apply and offered me $5000 so I'd say you'd get in there. (this was last week)

I find it hard to believe that RSO and MCPHS begged you. That is strange to hear. Why would they beg?

Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone! I really do appreciate it. And by any chance, do you guys know if taking the OAT multiple times would lower one's chance of getting in?

Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone! I really do appreciate it. And by any chance, do you guys know if taking the OAT multiple times would lower one's chance of getting in?

Nope. They take highest score.

plan on doing well the first time. schools can see if the test was repeated and they may ask you about it even if you improve your score the second time. some people mentioned that in their interviews they were asked what they did to improve their score. you can only retake the exam after 90 days have passed since the last time and theres a limit of three tries total (maybe exceptions to that rule in extreme cases but who would take it more than three times anyway)

Nope. They take highest score.

Yea most schools say it's fairly common to see applicants taking it a second time and say it's no big deal. One admissions dean at Indiana commented to me a couple years ago though that they were getting more and more applicants with high scores on the first shot and that was a plus for their file, but I think that's kind of a rare attitude toward it.

You do have to wait 90 days, plus it might take some time for the scores to get to scores once you do take it. Prep really hard for at least a month. I knew someone who took it the first time and only studied one day and did poorly. Then took it again and studied a week and did poorly (I think the score went down). Then took it a third time after taking a prep course and the score was maybe up to 300 by that point. I don't think that person put much individual effort in though - you need to do a lot of reading and memorizing in order to rock the exam. If you put the effort in, I'm sure you'll do great :) Good luck!

I find it hard to believe that RSO and MCPHS begged you. That is strange to hear. Why would they beg?

MCPHS wasn't on OptomCAS untill like November so a lot of people didn't even see it on the application when they applied so I'm going to assume at least half their seats are still open.

MCPHS wasn't on OptomCAS untill like November so a lot of people didn't even see it on the application when they applied so I'm going to assume at least half their seats are still open.

I see. That's legit. Why did you apply to mcphs and RSO?

I see. That's legit. Why did you apply to mcphs and RSO?

I didn't apply to MCPHS...I would NEVER be the first class and put 4 years of schooling at risk if it didn't get accredited. At least you know Western and RSO might be accredited next year and only waste 1 year in case it didn't get accredited.

I didn't apply to MCPHS...I would NEVER be the first class and put 4 years of schooling at risk if it didn't get accredited. At least you know Western and RSO might be accredited next year and only waste 1 year in case it didn't get accredited.

Didn't you say RSO and MCPHS begged you for an interview? Yeah your right, western is good because its in Cali

true that

Doesn't that apply to everyone who graduates with OD degree, regardless of school?

Nope. Talk to some private practice ODs about who they prefer.

Didn't you say RSO and MCPHS begged you for an interview? Yeah your right, western is good because its in Cali

yeah I don't know how MCPHS got my email since I didn't apply!

yeah I don't know how MCPHS got my email since I didn't apply!

Did you get a high OAT score and selected for the OAT agency to send your info to schools?

Don't feel discouraged, I got into IAUPR with similar a OAT score and GPA. And of course it's always better to have only taken the OAT once, but I don't think it would count against you if took it more than once.

Doesn't that apply to everyone who graduates with OD degree, regardless of school?

q1we3 ! I thought you never bother with new schools or even schools with more than100 seats. You're going to Berkeley this Fall, aren't you? .Or if "regardless of school", you can just enjoy your relaxing summer, then go to less competitive schools. Hopefully, you will find a good job because it's "regardless of school"

q1we3 ! I thought you never bother with new schools or even schools with more than100 seats. You're going to Berkeley this Fall, aren't you? .Or if "regardless of school", you can just enjoy your relaxing summer, then go to less competitive schools. Hopefully, you will find a good job because it's "regardless of school"

What made you think I am going to a less competitive or one of the newer schools? I had mentioned in my previous posts that I was going to UAB which is not a new school and neither has 100+ seats. I have stated to this individual that it is worth the wait of another year to get into established accredited school for better clinicals and NBEO preparation. Now will Walmart care about which school you went to before hiring you is a different story.
It seems like you have some sort of personal issue with me so I request that you private message me, instead of derailing this thread. I won't be going back and forth with you on this thread.

Don't feel discouraged, I got into IAUPR with similar a OAT score and GPA. And of course it's always better to have only taken the OAT once, but I don't think it would count against you if took it more than once.

Hey, your inbox private messages are full. Didn't allow me to reply. Thanks for the info. though.