What are my odds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andy Emmons

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my first two years of college, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I went out all the time and basically failed the last semester at the first uni I attended. However, my last semester, I was able to maintain a 3.75, got over 100% on all my Psych exams (because I didn't drink during the semester). My eyes became open to what I might want to do with my life, and I'm considering medicine. Will those first two years weigh me down a lot? I don't want to go for something where my odd's are in favor strongly against me. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

So my first two years of college, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I went out all the time and basically failed the last semester at the first uni I attended. However, my last semester, I was able to maintain a 3.75, got over 100% on all my Psych exams (because I didn't drink during the semester). My eyes became open to what I might want to do with my life, and I'm considering medicine. Will those first two years weigh me down a lot? I don't want to go for something where my odd's are in favor strongly against me. Thanks a lot!

You dug yourself a hole but strong performance from here on out and a high MCAT and you can be successful. You're not doomed at all, you just have to work hard. But so does everyone! Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
IF you can maintain the same academic excellence for the next two years, you should be fine. many schools reward reinvention and/or weight the last two-three years more than the aggregate.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Good job! Keep at it! I keep hearing that many schools love reinvention. As to your odds, the deeper hole you dig... the harder it is to come out of it. It's hard to say without knowing more Intricacies. You'll certainly have chances to explain your situation throughout your application. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there,

This might be out of line but I'll take the risk just in case. I hope that you can have a healthy relationship with alcohol if you ever do decide to drink again. I'd keep an eye on your habits and make sure that if you ever see yourself getting out of control - ask for help. At the minimum, tell people that care about you about how you are doing.

Best of luck. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: 1 users