What are my Options Available?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cursedconscious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, this is my first post :D - hi. I am considering going back to school for my pre-med requirements and seeing how I place there. Is there any books you guys recommend for people in my position - seeing whether becoming an MD is right for them?

I don't have even a good GPA, but I was wondering if my science and math GPA outweigh your cumulative GPA?

I've heard of SMPs and Post-Bac, and I figure that I will probably need to do those because my cGPA is 2.8 in Biz and Econ. I'm 24 years old ( out of undergrad nearly a year) - so there is still time. Is it worth to try this process out and see?

So I need:
Pre-Med Requirements: At least 3.8 GPA in those
PostBac/SMPS: Again 3.8 GPA
MCAT: At least 30

If I get these -- which will be no doubt extraneous -- could I get into a good MD or DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be evaluated on your cumulative undergrad GPAs, overall and science. You'll need to do some math to see what you can realistically raise those numbers to with additional undergrad coursework.

Assuming you can't get into competitive range with your cuGPAs (you'll max out around 3.2 after 2 more years), you still need to do a couple of years of undergrad to (1) do prereqs and (2) demonstrate academic prowess with a "strong upward trend" (3.8 or higher as you said).

You do need to kill the MCAT, and with a low cuGPA you need to be above average (about 27 for DO, about 32 for MD).

After all that you're still not competitive for MD schools, but anecdotally people do get in with low numbers. There are 1 year SMP (special masters programs), where you do the first year of med school as an audition for med school, that can resolve a maxed-out-but-still-too-low cuGPA situation. See the postbac forum for more info and a boatload of GPA comeback stories.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks DrMidLife

So the classes I take now would still be considered undergraduate?

Is getting into universities as a non-traditional student the same as applying when you just finished high school or is it more like you register to take classes?

So the classes I take now would still be considered undergraduate?
Undergrad is undergrad unless (it's my understanding that) your grad degree has undergrad requirements. Undergrad that you take after getting a degree is called "postbac" but that word gets abused like crazy around here.
Is getting into universities as a non-traditional student the same as applying when you just finished high school or is it more like you register to take classes?
Pick a school and see what they offer. Pay attention to whether you're eligible for financial aid, and whether you get registration priority. Tons (TONS) more info in the postbac forum.