What are my post bacc options? 2.5 GPA microbiology major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamer1124

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 23 year old female graduating next semester from a private university in Utah. I am graduating with a 2.5 GPA in microbiology. I have not taken physics, organic chem, or biochem. I didn't decide I wanted to do medical school until a month ago. I fear it is too late and I won't be able to pursue my dream. All the post bacc programs I have looked into don't want biology majors, only career changers. I didn't decide I wanted to go into the medical field until I was diagnosed with cushing's disease and had my pituitary tumor removed in August. What should I do? Is all hope lost and I am stuck with a degree that is potentially worthless? Also I have academic probation on my transcript. This isn't good at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a very similar situation to you. I took a bunch of classes over again as a do it yourself type of post-bacc. I did a year at the community college here (the state lottery pays half your tution so 18 credit hours was only 1.6k a semester.) And then I did a year at the university taking another full load for 2 semesters. I ended up pulling a 3.97 over the equivalent of a 2nd degree (66 credits + 33) which helped showed the adcoms that I had what it takes and I wasn't my overall GPA from when I was younger. It's gonna be a tough road but you need to definitely redo some classes and pull all A's from here on out if you want to get in. I got into a M.D. program but if you try D.O. you can replace your bad grades with As on the D.O. application system if you retake the same courses over again, would help boost your GPA much faster as well to drop a F or a D and replace it with an A.

Hey, I'm basically you but 8 years older. Like Warderino92 said you'll probably have to DIY a postbacc plan for yourself. I'm retaking a lot of classes at UC Berkeley Extension right now (not formally in the program, but they'll take your money nonetheless) and plan to take upperdivs at my alma mater during the summer to prove that I can handle the academic rigor and also to show that who I was back then is not who I am now. It's a long hard road, but nothing is impossible and you have youth on your side.

That said, if you've struggled and continue to struggle academically, you need to be honest with yourself about why that's been the case and how things will be different in the future. Because while knowing what you want is a nice first step, it still won't change your life's particular circumstances if you (for example) need to care for an ailing parent, or have trouble focusing, or are in a toxic relationship, etc. It took me a long time to identify these things for myself and take steps to change them.

If you have a few hours, read through this http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/below-3-0-gpa-support-group-thread.1015398/ and know that you're not alone!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi OP. First, know that you are not alone (see ucsdfootball's thread above). Everyone has their own story, and it makes and shapes the journey you take towards medicine. Second, know that where there's a will, there's a way. It's a cliche phrase, but it's true. Third, ask yourself "Why do I want to be a doctor?" Take note of your reasons, and use that to motivate you. In the darkest of times, I've used the above to anchor myself towards my goals. Although it took me much longer to complete my degree, I know my struggles have largely elucidated the type of physician I plan to become.

A little about me: I graduated with a 2.6 GPA in a science major. I also went through some ups and downs, so my transcript reads like a train wreck. I'll be applying to post-bacc programs this year. The GPA could be better, but the program coordinators have told me my volunteer work will help compensate for that (Note not all post-bacc programs will review applications that holistically, but I've done my research). If I don't get in, I'll go through my alma mater's extension and do a DIY post-bacc.

*Btw, there are post-bacc programs out there that are "academic enhancers", as well as "career changers" (regardless of if you were a bio major or not)

I would recommend doing a DIY post-bacc. You can talk to post-bacc students at the program of your interest and see what sort of classes they take. Mirror your academic plan after theirs. Or, if you're like me and your confidence was completely smashed by undergrad, perhaps get your feet wet and take a few science classes (preferably at a four-year institution or state school). Since you haven't taken the pre-reqs, you can start there! Do you have any clinical experience? If not, find a local clinic/organization to volunteer at. I found working with healthcare providers and patients kept me motivated.

In short, it's gonna takes a lot of time, energy, and persistence... but if you want it, go for it!