Step I What are normal cholesterol levels?

Started by Merely
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Merely

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I was having an argument with my friend so I want to ask the smart people of SDN, would an HDL level of 46 be good for a 52yo woman? How about a man of the same age? I thought that levels for woman should be >50 and for men >40 but my friend told me I was mistaken. Can someone please clear this up..
 
Hey, I was having an argument with my friend so I want to ask the smart people of SDN, would an HDL level of 46 be good for a 52yo woman? How about a man of the same age? I thought that levels for woman should be >50 and for men >40 but my friend told me I was mistaken. Can someone please clear this up..

uptodate is your friend.
 
If you find the info in uptodate post it here bcuz I couldn't find it for you. BUT, the guideline for CHD/CVD treatment is an HDL of >40, so I imagine that anything over 40 for males and females would be perfectly fine. According to Goljan RR, high level HDL is >60 and is optimal, while low levels are HDL <40 and is suboptimal and thus increases risk for CHD. Doesn't say anything about male v. female, so I think your friend is probably right.