what are other ways to get into derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sustentaculum

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is my dilemma: MS3, step 1 233/99. 3rd quartile possibly 4th at top tier med school. 1 abstract outside of derm. President of derm interest group at my school + loads of service projects. Because of my low stats, my adviser encouraged me to do derm research at the NIH for a year. I'm not sure if I want to because I want to graduate on time with my class. I'm planning on having 3 publications by the time I apply, i'll work my ass off for them. In case I don't match when I apply next year, what are other ways of eventually ending up as a dermatolgist? My backup plan is to do derm path through path. but i'm afraid I'll miss patients, and also I heard derm path is a pretty competitive fellowship for pathology residents. Any thoughts?
 
Here is my dilemma: MS3, step 1 233/99. 3rd quartile possibly 4th at top tier med school. 1 abstract outside of derm. President of derm interest group at my school + loads of service projects. Because of my low stats, my adviser encouraged me to do derm research at the NIH for a year. I'm not sure if I want to because I want to graduate on time with my class. I'm planning on having 3 publications by the time I apply, i'll work my ass off for them. In case I don't match when I apply next year, what are other ways of eventually ending up as a dermatolgist? My backup plan is to do derm path through path. but i'm afraid I'll miss patients, and also I heard derm path is a pretty competitive fellowship for pathology residents. Any thoughts?

If you really want to become a dermatologist, taking some time off for research may be necessary.

Dermpath is not a way into clinical dermatology and like you noted, it is a competitive fellowship (from both sides, not just pathology)
 
Here is my dilemma: MS3, step 1 233/99. 3rd quartile possibly 4th at top tier med school. 1 abstract outside of derm. President of derm interest group at my school + loads of service projects. Because of my low stats, my adviser encouraged me to do derm research at the NIH for a year. I'm not sure if I want to because I want to graduate on time with my class. I'm planning on having 3 publications by the time I apply, i'll work my ass off for them. In case I don't match when I apply next year, what are other ways of eventually ending up as a dermatolgist? My backup plan is to do derm path through path. but i'm afraid I'll miss patients, and also I heard derm path is a pretty competitive fellowship for pathology residents. Any thoughts?

Dude, I'd just apply next year and be done w/ it. I wasn't AOA or top of my class, and I am in derm. And your board scores are higher. So it's possible.